Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nutrients Separating/Crystalizing

Posted by greendude Arctic Wisconsin (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 3, 08 at 10:51

Hi folks, I've got a question about my nutrients. I am currently using Dyna-Gro Bloom in my system, and when I changed the nutrients the other day I noticed (from splashing the nutrient around inside the bottle) that there is a lot of gunk on the bottom that has separated from the formula and has crystalized into a bottom layer. The bottle is opaque so I have not seen this but I can hear the chunks splashing around in there.

So, is this the sign of a cheap nutrient? This is the nutrient that came with my hydroponics kit so I imagine it isn't a premium brand. Have I lost an important ingredient in this solid chunk that the plants need, or is this just salt? Should I attempt to redissolve the formula? Any advice would be appreciated; thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nutrients Separating/Crystalizing

I see you are from "Arctic" Wisconsin. Any chance the crystals might be coming out of solution due to the storage temperature?

Try warming it up and see if it goes back into solution. If it doesn't, I'd contact the manufacturer and ask questions. I've never had any commercial grow juice do that -- ever!

o

We here in the frozen lands have ways of keeping our indoor areas warm! :) The nutrient is being stored indoors away from an outside wall, and shouldn't be experiencing temperatures any lower than 60 degrees F. Still, perhaps I'll try warming it up somehow (body heat?) and jiggling it excessively to see if I can get the chunks to melt back into it.

If that doesn't work, I'll seek a new brand of nutrient. Thanks!

o

I've never been able to get something like that to go back into solution. Generally when you get something to fall out of solution like that it's an insoluble salt that just won't go back no matter what you do.

FWIW I've also only had that problem with cheaper stuff. I haven't seen it since I upgraded to Advanced Nutrients.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here