Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Solar powered hydroponic

Posted by mosesong z5 KS (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 5, 08 at 12:00

I all, I have a portable green house like this: http://www.comfortchannel.com/prod.itml/icOid/12833 that I would like to use my hydroponic in (I'm new to hydroponic btw, but I have read the book and will start my lettuce raft and ebb system soon for the winter)

I'm thinking about doing a bigger scale starting from Spring as those HID is just way too expansive for big job. Anyway, I discovered the solar pump method:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2hm5o5NjOs

I want to build a drip system in the mini green house without electric outlet a couple hundred feet away from the house to get full sun (will partially bury the nutrient tank in ground to keep it cool). The green house will protect the plant from wind, rain, and birds while letting bees to pollen. My question is: the solar power will work during the day, is it okay to not water the plant at night? I don't think the solar has a battery to run at night, otherwise it wouldn't be that cheap. Most solar fountain pump I found is less than $100.

I want to grow bell pepper, chili pepper and tomato. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Solar powered hydroponic

I would suggest using perlite as a growing medium. If you do this, your plants can go all night without any watering, as long as they get some as the heat rises the following day.

Perlite holds from 45% to 70% of its volume in water (depending on particle size), so it's not necessary that it be wetted 24/7.

If you're worried about it, oversize your solar array and charge batteries, then use a timer to give yourself a couple night watering cycles.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here