Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
half my plants died.

Posted by derek-grow (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 14, 08 at 14:06

i had all mu plants up to around 2 1/2-3 inches tall in a bubbler i use to sprout them. when i moved them over to the auroponic set up 5 out of 8 died. i have 2 tomato plants and one pepper plant left. right now i believe they are growing thier roots mostly. i figure they wil take off again after they get the roots out some more.

the thing i'm wondering about is why the other 5 plants died. i had them all under a 1000 watt hps and a 400 watt mh. the heat wasn't to high at all. i keep a thermometer on the wall and on top of the hydro units to keep a eye on the temp. it stays at 75. the nutrients are mixxed right.

any ideals?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: half my plants died.

I believe aero systems grow different roots than DWC type systems. you probably gave it too much light too quickly. The plants hadn't converted their root system yet and thus couldn't provide as much water as the leaves transpired.
Well . . That's just my immediate thoughts on it.

o

should i start them off in the auroponic kit first then. would that be the right way to go about it? the roots are just now starting through the rockwool cubes on the ones that lived. i'm using 1 inch cubes. the ph is at 6.2. i have checked everything so far. i started another 8 sets of seeds today. i might just try them in the auroponic set up first this time. i started them under a 150 watt hps. these i'll start under the bigger lights. do you think that will help this time?

o

I think grizzman hit the nail on the head. Further, I suggest you not grow tomatoes and peppers together.

The reason for this is that one is a heavy nitrogen feeder (tomato) and the other is not necessarily (depending on particular cultivar, I'm sure).

Nonetheless, it's been my experience that while each like a slightly more acid medium 5.5 to 6.2 pH, it's hard to maintain both that and a feeding schedule that is useful to each. I'd grow them in separate systems.

o

I think how you're starting them is fine. When you put them in your aero system, try giving them diffused light or indirect sunlight for a few days to give them time to adapt.
Very similar to hardening off vegetable seedlings to be grown in the dirt.

o

here's a update. i replanted more seeds and let them get up pretty well with roots coming out of the rockwool this time. i moved them from the bubbleponics sprouter and into the auroponic set up. when i went down and looked at them today they are taking off like a house on fire now. plenty of roots and growing great. maybe i did move them to fast last time amd this time i have lost none at all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here