Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydroponic Gardening Growing lamp

Posted by Timoson none (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 15:57

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, and would like to ask you something. I want to begin with hydroponic gardening, but i don't want to spend to much money on the lightning. I'm not a big expert if it's about the lighting with gardening. I would like to know if it is possible to use just a CFL lamp. Much of the time i see that you can buy lamps for much money, but i hope that it's also possible to do it with cheaper lamps.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydroponic Gardening Growing lamp

CFL's get the job done. I'm using 4 23 watt bulbs. one full spectrum, one 4500K and two 6500K the more the merrier.

the pic attached ran about $38.00
including hardware,bulbs and ceiling mount pulleys for height adjustment. it's growing green healthy plants however I am upgrading to 48Watt bulbs soon simply for faster results.

you can look all over you-tube and see successful CFL lit gardens.

o

I want to begin with hydroponic gardening, but i don't want to spend too much money

hmmm, those are indeed conflicting desires! It seems like everything hydro is expensive.

Provided that you supply enough lumens for your space, CFLs will work fine for lettuce, greens, herbs, or anything leafy. My advice is to stick with those crops if you use CFLs. Fruiting and flowering crops do far better under hid HPS lights, which are expensive to buy, to power, and to cool.

o

grow outside or in a south facing window if you're anywhere in the southern US and you don't need artificial lights.

o

Lighting fixtures are expensive.
Electricity to run lighting fixtures is even more expensive.

o

You can easily make hydroponic gardening efficient and economical.

Look at each aspect and try and use "non-specialty" products when available....for example....a hydro store may charge $6-10 for a black 5 gallon bucket while home depot or lowes will charge $3.oo

There are also "grow lamps" for 60-70% more than their identical generic bulbs......look for 6500K for growth and skip the "grow lamp" temptation.

There are so many ways to save and make it economical.

Try a do it yourself Deep Water Culture System.

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY Deep Water Culture System

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here