Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zzackey

Can I grow spinach hydroponically?

zzackey
12 years ago

I love fresh spinach. Can I grow it hydroponically?

Comments (13)

• grizzman
    12 years ago

Getting them to sprout is difficult.
    Also, they don't like much heat, so you have to ensure the temperature isn't too high or they'll bolt.

• zzackey
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just read the seeds need to be in the fridge for two weeks in order to germinate. I'm trying it.

• grizzman
    12 years ago

cool.
    please let me know if that helps.
    Thanks.

• TheMasterGardener1
    12 years ago

"Getting them to sprout is difficult."

?????????????????????????????

Spinach is ideal to grow hydroponically. You would sprout them in rockwool. What kind of system? I happend to be quite familure with hydroponics and can say floating DWC is the best. I know of large scale lettuce operations that are switching from NFT to DWC.

• grizzman
    12 years ago

I don't use rockwool, but I've never had much success getting spinach to sprout.
    How do you sprout them? what temperature and how long does it take?

• zzackey
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What does DWC and NFT mean? I just planted my seeds in the garden after having them in the refrigerator for 2 weeks. They got more cold stratification because the night time temps have been well below freezing the last three nights. My firend said her spinach seeds sprouted fine after being in the refrigerator for a year. I read they needed at least two weeks of cold. I will let you know what happens.

• grizzman
    12 years ago

DWC = deep water culture. raft systems are a modification of this system
    NFT = nutrient film technique. a thin film of mutrient flows across the bottom of a tray and roots lay on top of that and absorb the nutrient.

• homehydro
    12 years ago

Technically I agree with grizzman, but as a clarification the term DWC (deep water culture) is a distinction about how deep the water in their water culture system is. It has become common place to refer to any water culture system as a deep "Water Culture" system.

Though it's really the opposite , and "DWC" is a really modification of the definition of a true water culture system. The word deep is just referring to the water depth. There's where the definition of a water culture system gets blurred (sort of). When it comes to a true water culture system, there is no definition of water depth. They are all defined as a water culture systems. No mater if it's just a couple of inches, or a few hundred feet.

But the term DWC has been so widely used to refer to as any water culture systems, the "D" in the term meaning "Deep" has lost all of it's meaning. And it should be known that "DWC" is just a term for a water culture system that refers to the depth of the water with the "D" standing for "Deep" (meaning not shallow). Like a pool where you have a deep end, and a shallow end. The only difference between the two sides is the depth of the water. The function, and how the pool works remains the same. Same goes for the water culture system, weather it's referred to as a water culture system or a DWC, the function is still the same.

• citybuddha
    10 years ago

When cooling spinach seeds in the refridgerator does one cool just the seeds dry and THEN place in rick wool or cool them in rock wool to germinate the seeds in the fridge?

• zzackey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry I never answered this old post! No, they didn't sprout. Trying again this year with a seed tape.

• garland_home
    10 years ago

I keep a DWC tank of spinach growing in my basement all the time. The temp. There is a pretty consistent 60. I sprout it in wet coffee filters and then move it to coco fiber. I never had much luck growing it in my greenhouse.

• Minhajuddin Km
    8 years ago

grew these spinach in Hydroponics in NFT setup

• thegardenofease
    8 years ago

Well hello everyone. Haven't been around here for awhile. Been busy. As soon as I find another site to publish pictures. But the answer is yes in a varitity of ways. As some here can tell you I'm into a different thought about hydroponics. Sorry I forgot I haven't been here in a while. So please allow me to intoduce myself to those who don't. My Parental given name is George Davis. My Earth given name is ChristianWarlock. I'm an Artist, Photographer, Capicorn, Humanist, computer nerd, meta-morph and plant person. And it's that plant person returning now. I grow spinach in a 40' foot Aquaponics bed using talapia as the nutrient source. There's so much nutrient that I have enough to fertilize quite a few other plants. The experiment with spinach is a 100 5lb cup Portable Water Table. I use Hytrotron balls. They were left over from because they couldn't get it to work right. I use the c.lay balls because of the ease of harvest. Only need one one filling of the 5lb cups thru it's 60 days plus cycle. Like I said as soon as I can find a site to post pictures from I'll add pictures.

Sponsored
Uncommon Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Turnkey Interior Design Studio in Loudoun County, VA