Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amprice_gw

Companion Planting for Aero Garden

amprice
15 years ago

I have just ordered my first Aero Garden and after spending over 2 hours reading through their on line information I have yet to be able to determine if I can grow Tomatoes at the same time I am growing some of their herbs. I use alot of herbs and have been feeling rather lonely since the sun went down and thought I would try this but would really like to do more than herbs all at once. If i just leave out one of their "plugs" for an herb and put in a tomatoe instead will it produce?

Comments (7)

• grizzman
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

in typical hydroponics, you don't grow tomatoes and herbs together. the tomatoes are heavy feeders. with the nutrient level high enough to satisfy the tomatoes, you'll end up with a lot of tip burn on the herbs.
    Also, I've read the tomatoes the aerogarden folkz sell isn't a very flavorful variety.
    you might be better of just growing the herbs.

• crafting4goddess
    15 years ago

You could also grow herbs using a passive wicking system too. I'm growing basil & eggplant using the wick method...& I am beginning to see better results than with the ebb & flow. MY problems never seem to cease with the ebb & flow!
    Here is a link to my eggplant growing in a passive wick bucket. It's growing more rapidly than the one in the ebb & flow.
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3122/3189048509_56bf629f05.jpg
    (Hopefully links like this are allowed....)

Here is a link that might be useful: Passive Wick for Beginners

• amprice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I never even thought about just using the light off the sides. Great idea. Going to transplant what is growing in there now and start my tomatoes this weekend. I am starving for something fresh, anything!!! Thanks for the idea!

• floridabear
    15 years ago

Hi. Depending on which garden you bought. The 'Classic 7 Plug' garden is the biggest and best,...I have 3 of them.

The smaller ones run on the 'bubblestones' airation, and are not ones that I like at all! SO,if you have the big 7 growplug one,heres my 2 cents worth of advice. I have grown the tomato kit,3 plants, several times, and put I grew basil in the other 4 growplug holes, at the same time, in one garden.
    While it puts a 'strain' on the system, you have to add more fertilizer, watch the water much closer, and use a different type of fertilizer in addition to the 'tomato fert'. it gets a bit difficult, you can burn the tomatos or the basil grows super fast. BUT I managed to get a lot of basil to go with my tomatos. The perfect combonation!

BUT if you want to grow herbs ONLY. I would use their refill grow plugs, that they sell, NOT any of their herb kits, unless you see something you really like. Buy your own seeds and make YOUR own herb garden, with what you like! Not what comes in the seedkits. That is what I do.

Save the plastic baskets that the plants grow in, and then use the refill plugs that they sell online, 21 plugs for $12.95, and plant what YOU like in them. The seeds are much cheaper and you get to grow what YOU like or need. Not what THEY decide you want. I planted an herb garden of basil and flat leaf parsley,...something they dont even offer. They only offer that curly leaf parsley, that is not the right kind to grow as you must know. After buying the seeds, I now have enough seeds to plant 5-7 more gardens if and when I want to. Along with flower gardens and petunia gardens. I have the best luck with them. Their kit cost $20. With my seeds and the refill plugs, it is maybe $.25 for the seeds and the growplug is about $5 for the garden. So for $5.25, I get more plants, and the type I want. Same for the herbs, and tomatos.

It is hard to find dwarf tomatos, but I finally found several types. I am growing a tomato and Lettuce Leaf Basil garden right now. That is a huge leaf basil. Not the tiny plain basil that they sell. There are like a dozen type of basils you can grow.
    Buy the seeds you like and make your own garden. One thing I do to make sure the plastic baskets work better. I drill holes all in the baskets,so the water gets in faster and easier. It is very easy with a small drill. I hope this babbling helps.
    I see this is an older posting. By now, maybe you are doing something else that others said to try. They are right about the light being VERY bright and you can grow things around the garden unit. I have not tried it. I just happen to have african violets around one garden by chance, and they get some extra light from the garden. It seems to make them bloom more! So I guess it works.
    Feel free to email me if you have any questions about your AerogGrow garden. I am NOT a fan of the company! I love the gardens,but not the company. That is one reason I figured out how to grow MY own gardens with my own seeds,instead of their $20 kits!

But I have to buy their refill plugs, and their fertilizers.
    I am trying out other fertilizers to see if they will work or not.

But anyway, you can grow SOME plants with your tomatos...but it can affect your tomatos,they might not get as big as they can. And they are small already:) Bye now you must have a garden going,...tell me or us what you are growing. Try to grow your own kind of garden next time. Save the plastic baskets once, and you don't have to ever buy them again! Then you can plant anything that will fit under the lights..about 12in high when they grow to maturity....depending on the type of garden you bought of course.

• amprice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just transplanted the herbs from the first garden and have them next to the lights as mentioned above - time will tell. I just started the cherry tomato kit again time will tell.

Floridabear - thank you so much for your input on how to reduce the cost of actually growing in one of these things. My hubby wasn't very happy when he saw the cc bill for the 2 kits. I will save the cells from earlier and start doing some searches on line for the plugs.

• floridabear
    15 years ago

Amprice,...You can only get the refill growplugs from AeroGrow...on their website www.aerogrow.com....21 plugs for $12.95. But others have told me that you can use 'rockwool' and other less expensive types of hydroponic planting mediums. I'm sure someone in here knows where to get them. BUT these growplugs fit perfectly and dont clog up the pump...'supposedly'. They are listed in AeroGrows accessories page. I think they are called 'Mastergarden Refill kit'...and then it says 21 plugs and labels,..that they NEVER send you!!!, for $12.95,...and if you order $25 of more,the shipping on anything is free. Stock up on them if you buy any. They run out all the time! AND if they EVER get replacement pumps back in stock,...they are out of sock again, 3 months now, get 2-3 pumps. Just incase. I at least got 2 before they ran out in less than 1 week! The pumps last a long time. I have only had 1 die on me. BUT it was right as a tomato garden was fruiting, and I lost the garden. It was six months before they had any pumps back in stock...and then as I said..they were out of them again in 3 weeks! Thus the reason I am not a fan of them. They didnt replace the dead tomato garden with a new seedkit, or send a free pump,under warranty! Then the warranty was gone and they got pumps in stock and they refuse to replace it. So...I hate the company...but love the garden and that is why I am trying to grow my own things and buy as little from them as i need. Good luck!