Return to the Idaho Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grasshoppers

Posted by cymraes 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 1, 07 at 16:23

We just built a new home on 85 acres in West Central Idaho. When we moved here last summer, the grasshoppers were eating every living plant. I want to get the jump on them this year to keep them from eating my garden and flowers. Any suggestions? I prefer to garden organically, so would prefer not to use poisons, but if they get too bad, I'm willing to do whatever is necessary to get rid of them. I was considering ducks or chickens. Thanks for any suggestions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grasshoppers

Oddly enough, even though the grasshoppers are in epidemic numbers by the really dry days of summer, they don't do a lot of harm to my veggies or flowers. Maybe they prefer weeds????

Ducks and chickens are a good idea, but they like tender seedlings and fruit and some veggies too, so they have their own drawbacks. Chickens also scratch in the dirt, sometimes damaging or killing young plants.

Jeanne

o

Thanks Jeanne, Yes I had thought about the chicken's scratching, and since I will have a lot of roses, etc, with mulch, I hate to have the chicken's always scratching it out. I hope the grasshoppers will stick to other plants, but last year I moved several containers of herbs that they ate in several hours!

o

This is what my Dad says (he's done graduate work in this area so I trust his advice, but haven't tried it since I don't have a grasshoppers problem) -- use soil aerating shoes (or some sort of shoes with lots of sharp pointies) and stomp around in your lawn -or- get your soil aerated.

:)

o

There is a good microbial insecticide that only affects grasshoppers and crickets. The protozoan Nosema locustae is sold under the names NOLO Bait, Grasshopper Spore, and others. This can be effective if you put it out early in the season, when you first see the tiny grasshoppers. It is not very effective on the big ones. Grasshoppers are cannibalistic and will eat dead ones, thus spreading the disease themselves. As it is perishable, you should try to order it when you think you will need it although it can keep for a while in the refrigerator.

Here is a link that might be useful: NOLO Bait

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Idaho Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here