Return to the Idaho Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When do I plant toms. and strawberries?

Posted by waterlight85 5? (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 19, 07 at 19:04

Hello there! My husband and I are trying to grow tomatos and strawberries from seed this year (something neither of us has ever done, and neither of us is very familiar with gardening in this climate yet...or gardening at all for that matter, lol). I'd like to start the seeds off indoors then move them outside later, but we don't have any southern exposure or sunny windows, so don't want the seeds to germinate too early as we fear they'll either freeze outside in the sunlight, or die inside in the darker warmth, neither of which is a very good option, lol. We don't have enough space for grow lights, except for 1 little flourescent lamp in the living room that seemed to work well for forced tulips in conjunction with a little sunlight, but there's not quite enough space to try that with the toms. or straws. I'm guessing. So in what month should we plant the seeds? Thanks! I appreciate any helps or suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When do I plant toms. and strawberries?

Hello! Welcome to the climate! I'm not sure if you saw my post but I'm also new to the area and trying to find out about similar things! Life is different up here lol. If you find out anything be sure to let us know and I hope someone answers your question!

o
RE: When do I plant toms. and strawberries?

It doesn't sound to me like you have a good setup for starting these seeds indoors. Lots of light is the key, and without a sunny window or a pretty good light setup, the seedlings will be thin and weak. An open east or west window can provide a lot of light and may be worth a try. If you keep the room temperature down, it will help counteract the low light and make for a better seedling. Although it is fun to start your own, you can buy starts very cheaply. I don't know about strawberries, but here in Sandpoint, I would start tomato seeds around May 1 and transplant out in early June. You could start earlier if you are using a Wall-O-Water or similar freeze protection.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Idaho Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here