Return to the Idaho Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ideas for growing an English Style Hedgerow in Eagle?

Posted by englishdreams 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 30, 10 at 13:33

I need some suggestions for growing an english style hedgerow in Eagle ID. I am in zone 6 and the property line runs along a brook. Between the brook and my fence line are three globe willows, one curly willow and a maple. They do not provide us with any privacy from the neighbors directly behind us, hence my desire to grow a think evergreen privacy hedge akin to the an English garden style. The fence line is about 90 feet. What do you suggest as appropriate plants? Laurels? Azaleas? Yew? Privet? Boxwood? I prefer something relatively fast growing and evergreen. Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ideas for growing an English Style Hedgerow in Eagle?

On another forum here, I saw a thread about Cornish walls. It looked interesting, but finding the appropriate stone to make those walls would be the challenge.

I have seen boxwood do well in Boise, so I suppose that would work, but you might consider using arborvitae or cedar to get year-round privacy.

I have a soft spot for rhododendron, but they need acid soil, or at least inoculation with mycorrhizal fungi and a reliable supply of water during the hot months. Plus, they don't grow very tall.

o
RE: Ideas for growing an English Style Hedgerow in Eagle?

I also live in Eagle and currently trying to accomplish the same thing... gain privacy. One of the problems we have is too much water, so we went with the Yew because they can take more water than most plants, they're easy to care for and I like the look... it's much softer to the touch and the eye than most plants. I am having to learn all over how to garden, because the climate and soil is much different than I'm used too. Let us know what you decided!

Deb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Idaho Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here