Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moulman

Hey! It's Spring

moulman
17 years ago

Come on you folks, I know yer out there lurking....

How are your preparations going?

I've got my seedlings going now - toms, peppers, melons....

In a couple of weeks the peas go in....

How 'bout you?

Matt

Comments (9)

• jomama3
    17 years ago

Hey !! Glad to check and see someone here ! Yea Spring!
    I have been cleaning up my small garden and preping my G.H. for tomatoes. have not started any seeds yet. I'm interested in some good tomatoes that will do well around here.( I will be planting in my green house this year)I usually grow Roma and Early Girl... Suggestions on different types? what type of toms are everyone else growing this year, do we have any type of seed or plant trade set up here ? JoAnn

• botanybob
    17 years ago

Was it just my imagination, or was this winter gloomier than most. No wonder the list has been so dead. And just to make it worse, they moved DST three weeks earlier. I am tired of getting up in the dark.

• hillbilly_gardener
    17 years ago

Has been a great spring until the last day or so cold and windy, Peas in garden coming up, carrots, lettuce, spinich, and radishes planted.

In the cold frame have tomato plants, pepper plants, and cabbage plants started.

Hope this forum gets more active as the spring warms up.

Perry

• rmbrad
    17 years ago

Jomama3:

I was doing some research on Tomatoes last year and found one you might be interested in. I have not been able to find the plants or seeds but you are in the right area. These were developed at the University in Moscow and are called Latha. They are supposed to be one of the earliest tomatoes you can get. I would check with the University or the County Extension office to see if the seeds are available. If you find them in your area please let me know where I would like to try these.

Mike.

• moulman
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mike,

They are called LATAH (as in Latah County) and yes they are an early variety.

I am in Moscow(work at the UI ) , and our last frost date is like May 20. So this year I am pushing the envelope trying to plant some toms in April.

I have made a frame from 1" PVC pipe - rectangular 5'X2.5' and am covering it with bubble wrap for insulation.
    I have it out now to warm the soil, and will plant 2 tom plants in about 10 days. Then as the plants grow (and the weather warms) I will add more modules of frame to gain more caging height.

I will try to post pics soon.

Un-covered soil is still too cool for my peas, but soon.....

Matt

• cymraes
    17 years ago

Well, my tomato and basil seedlings have just begun to sprout. We have a new place, so have an entire yard to landscape. We are building some raised beds, and have 50+ tree seedlings ordered from the University. I expect it to be a very busy spring and summer!

• rmbrad
    17 years ago

Matt:

Sorry about the misspelling. I was never very good at it. I have peas up in my garden. I had to cover them the other night due to frost. Spring weather really makes me crazy. We had several weeks of really nice weather with temps in the mid 70's, and then really cool weather. I like your idea of the frames and use of bubble wrap. I may give that a try. My garden is 8' by 32'. I really want to get my beans and Tom's in. I don't know if you have a zamzow's in your area, but they have some really good information about growing tom's on their web site. Google zamzow.

Have you tried any of the SRM material yet? This is a material that was developed by one of the Universities. SRM stands for Selective Reflective Material. I used some of the SRM red a couple of years ago, and seemed to have a much better production from my peppers and tom's. I have some SRM white that is supposed to be better. I will give it a try this season.

• moulman
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mike -

Well if you have peas up, then you must be in southern ID, yes?

That SRM - is that like the "plastic mulch " that everyone seems to be trying now?

My garden is a raised bed that is a broad "U" shape across the back of my yard, up against a white wooden fence. It faces south and is 6ft. front-to-back and about 60 feet in total width. I have access from the front only so I have to keep my spacing accordingly.

I am a tomato addict, so the majority of space is dedicated to them, but I also grow peas, beans, squash and cukes.

Our weather in Moscow has been hovering in the high 50's with lows around freezing... typical for our April.

But I am determined to get some toms in early July.

Matt

• moulman
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jomamma -

I have grown a lot of tomatoes on the Palouse ( Z6) - but have had best luck with those that mature in less than 80 days.

60-70 day toms usually start coming in early Aug. 90 day + usually are a race to beat the frost.

Some of my more productive varieties have been -

Jubilee - a Golden yellow beefsteak - comes in last Aug till frost (10 - 16 oz)

Cherokee Purple - dusky red/purple with green shoulders ( my favorite! ) comes in mid Aug till frost (12oz to 1 1/2 lbs)

Bloody Butcher - small to medium, red (6-10 oz) late July thru frost

Burpee's Beefsteak - mid Aug to frost - large red beefsteak (12 - 16 oz.)

Matt

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!