Return to the Idaho Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
xeriscape yard

Posted by janicez5 z5 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 3, 10 at 16:18

I am in central Idaho, south of the Snake River. About 8 inches ppt per year. Soil tending to alkaline, with hardpan layer down about a foot. Some salinity.

Have been contemplating yard area.

I am wondering about Sandberg bluegrass for yard area ( a few clumps of it doing well in my outback). Height obviously would not be a problem (I would be surprised to learn that there is a shorter western native grass) Sure, it looks like it wouldn't survive much traffic, but there won't be much traffic. I visualize it mixed with some other grass-- would it hold its own against sheep fescue under minimal irrigation ??

Q.: Is anyone growing Sandberg bluegrass (Poa secunda/ Poa sandbergii) as a lawn/yard grass ??...... Your thoughts/experience with xeriscape yard in similar conditions are appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: xeriscape yard

Hi Janice - Sandberg bluegrass does just fine with just about any seeded species around here. Your only problem might be cheatgrass, so if you have that under control, you should be good. If you haven't already, you might take a look at the native garden at the Boise BLM office on Development Ave (it's on the east side of the parking lot). The Idaho Botanical Garden also has some demo-plots for water-wise grasses. Not sure if they have Sandberg's, but I do know that they have things like Buffalo grass growing there, as well as the fire wise garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Idaho Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here