Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boisenoise

Primroses in the Desert

boisenoise
16 years ago

I've heard that a lot of people in our area have trouble getting primroses to do well. I have some that seem reasonably happy, though!

So far, I've had the best luck with primula auricula (mail-ordered from Bluestone Perennials) and primula veris. I got some gorgeous 'Sunset Shades' primula veris at Edwards' a few years back, and I love them! They are doing fine, and this year I decided to divide them and spread them out a bit more.

The auricula and veris are in the shade from my neighbor's ash tree, and they seem to get by with just regular amounts of water, nothing excessive.

I also have several of the ordinary little primula vulgaris planted along stepping stones off my back porch (a true 'Primrose Path'!) They have been there for several years and seem to be doing okay. They bloom when it's still too cold for me to be spending much time outside, so I really enjoy being able to see them from inside the house. :) They are in full sun when they bloom, but taller perennials planted behind them provide some shade during the summer.

Does anyone else around here grow primroses? Do you have any suggestions about methods (and/ or kinds of primroses) that have worked well for you?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz