Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
growinidaho

New to you and new to gardening:)

growinidaho
14 years ago

Hi all! I am happy to join you today! Sorry for the long post!!! I hope you are ready for lots of newbie questions. I planted my first garden this year from scratch...weed sod to clods to rows to spacing to planting to watering to mulching and to starting my trash can compost bin (started today)in addition to a huge pile that will take forever...etc. Whew! This year is trial and error with lots of learning and aching female muscles)

My first question is: Am I in zone 6? I live 1 hour north of Boise and our last frost is a week or 2 after Boise's. Our 1st planting day is June 1st. I was able to start planting the week of May 25.

My next ? is: do I really have to thin the snow peas? The ones that are close are in an 8' single row and about 5" tall. My 3rd ? is my pole beans. They are in a single row of 21' and are 3-5" apart. Do I need to thin them or some of them?

Here is what I planted (4th ? is what else should I mulch?)

basil

beets (mulched today)

broccoli

cabbage

cantaloupe

carrots (long and short)

corn (4 rows)

cucumbers (they all died so I replanted them and I have lots in the compost pile by surprise too!) (mulched today)

garlic (mulched today)

green beans

jalapenos

leaf lettuce (mesclun mix, simpson, and assorted)

marigolds

green onions, lisbon scallions, walla wallas

oregano (not growing)

peas (mulched today)

bell peppers

potatoes(red)in tires, bags and hill of dirt

spinach

sunflowers (replanted b/c the neighbors spray killed them)

13 tomato plants (poor things, they had a rough start)(mulched today)

wildflowers

zucchini (almost lost them from the spray but they are looking good now, plus I replanted some)(1 stem is split but the plant is doing great)

My last ? for today is which of those I listed above can I plant for a fall crop and when should I start them? I want to try lettuce, carrots, onions and spinach with some leftover seeds I saved and whatever else I can.

I am sure some things wont grow much but I had to plant them when I did and I don't know what things look like or how to tend them. We had toms, peas, cukes, zukes and carrots before but the garden didn't yield much.

Thanks to all of your replies...now and in the future!!!

growinidaho

Comments (7)

• growinidaho
    Original Author
    14 years ago

forgot to say my peas are 3-4" apart

• idaho_gardener
    14 years ago

Garden Valley?

I think you might be closer to a zone 5.

I don't have much luck with peas despite the fact that they are 'easy' to grow. I know I should think my crops, but I never do. I just try to fertilize the hell out of the crowded crops. My strawberries are a jungle. My corn is going to be a thicket. My potatoes formed hedges.

You have about 3 times as many crops as I have. Congratulations.

I'm no expert, but I think you want to get the winter crops going at the end of August. September can be nice but when it changes, it goes quickly. You've picked the right crops for a fall/winter harvest.

• growinidaho
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for your reply! Yup...GV.
    I found out just today that I have a gold mine on this property. Tons of things to compost...I am excited to use it. Even 3 foot tall weeds wrapped in a "1/4 pounder" of aged horse manure. I started a new lasagna style compost pile tonight. The neighbors gave me 2 fresh straw bales and 2 moldy ones so I am using that to layer my compost pile and for mulch. We have lots of room to add on to the garden b/c we just got rid of our horses. Organic field of compost just waiting to be "MOVED" (ugh...sigh...tired...aching back...blessed!). We have wild black caps along the house and boy do they make the best berry pie!!! mmm!!! I would like to start strawberries next year and asparagus(dh loves it, not me). I think I will leave the peas and beans then for this year unless one looks really bad. Whats a good fertilizer? I have aged manure and one with nitrogen/phosphate/potash and I know nothing about fertilizer or how much to use. Thanks!!!

• backyardener
    14 years ago

I'd agree, Garden Valley is more likely zone 5. How long have you lived there? Have you recorded the low temps during the winter? Here in Boise it has not been below zero for over 10 years, which would put us in zone 7, but there is a history of below zero temps, so zone 6 is a safer guideline.

My peas and beans always grow pretty well - I do not fertilize them at all since they are legumes and fix their own nitrogen from the air. They don't do well with too much nitrogen in the soil. The problem I have with peas is that once summer arrives (any day now) it gets too hot and the peas get starchy and the plants die. They can't take the heat in Boise, but you may have better luck in GV.

For everything else, I use an organic fertilizer from Zamzows called nutri-rich (a 4-3-3 +calcium fertilizer) in the spring when I till the beds. After that I don't fertilize much at all, just use mulch and compost and the occasional shot of Zamzows Thrive (Organic 5-5-3 fertilizer). The exceptions are my blueberries and azaleas, which get MirAcid.

• growinidaho
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info! Our temps here are usually cooler a.m.s and p.m.s. Nights 10-20 degrees cooler. Lived here for 8 yrs but only got below 0 a couple of times that I can remember. Day high temps are usually the exact same as Boise in the summer time.
    I lived in Caldwell forever and remember in the late 80's it was -25 once in winter.
    My peas are in the shade of a chain link fence(attaching this last week...yay) and the cooler eves and mornings should help.
    I read that about the nitrogen in the air. I read all I could in April and May...next year should be easier. I may just happen to have the green thumb my grandpa had, I hope!
    Our soil is pretty good but I haven't tested it yet, maybe next year. I didn't have any compost to add when I first planted but I did add a little aged horse manure. Next year I will have a truck load of compost...whew. Thanks again!

• backyardener
    14 years ago

I'm surprised that it gets that hot in GV - I assumed that you'd be a few degrees cooler up there. If you are only getting a few degrees below zero then you'd still be in zone6, but I would guess if we got another cold winter where it gets below zero here in Boise, you would be even colder (zone 5 temps). I too remember the -25 record low temp, when I was a kid sub-zero temps were pretty common. Maybe it is just "nostalgia of youth" but I seem to remember having quite a bit more snow as well. We used to ride snow-mobiles right out of our garage.

• growinidaho
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yeah that winter in Caldwell, we had 12" of snow in our yard, my dd was a baby, almost 21 now, our furnace quit and the pipes broke in our mobile home. Up here we get over 100" of snow during the winter...not fun to shovel. I can see today how well my straw mulch is working! Am I supposed to mulch the green beans? Thanks!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!