• flash14756
    16 years ago

In the "empty" space between Eagle and Boise

• rmbrad
    16 years ago

Nampa, ID here. Just off Midway Rd.

• sandpointgal
    16 years ago

Wow- I can't believe there are other gardeners in the Sandpoint area here- thats great. I just signed on and was looking to communicate with gardeners in the area. I'm actually about 15 miles north of Sandpoint. Email me if anyone is interested in trading plants.

• cocolallakids
    16 years ago

HI! I'm up above Cocolalla Lake just south of Sandpoint.

• hillbilly_gardener
    16 years ago

Shelley here. Just south of Idaho Falls, Retired so spend a lot time in my garden, Eating, Summer squash, Beans, Corn, and cabbage, The broccoli, culiflower, peas etc all finished for the year.

• cymraes
    16 years ago

Indian Valley (N of Boise).

• val_id
    16 years ago

I'm from Idaho Falls also!

• Springshowers
    16 years ago

Will be moving to the St Maries area in 08.
    Have a ton to learn about gardening in the mountains!
    Heidi

• nikkijean
    16 years ago

I'm in Emmett. I have a few gardening posts on my blog, including a lasagna gardening post with pics. Look in the September archives.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tater Tot Casserole

• hummerlover
    16 years ago

Lets see how long it takes for someone to respond to this. Twin Falls area, Usually like to check the hummgbird Forum out. I miss the little birds and I cant wait until spring, and its not even winter yet.

• idaho_gardener
    16 years ago

Paul on the Meridian/Boise border. Nice looking soil here.

• digit
    16 years ago

My gardens are on a different border - the WA/ID line up here in the Panhandle.

I've watched this forum since its inception and even posted once or twice.

Counting posts on this thread (and trying to only use my fingers while not taking off my shoes ;o) - I've counted 25 posts over the course of 18 months. I guess that's about 1 every 3 weeks. There's no question that this is the most active thread but once every 3 weeks?!?

I spend quite a bit of time over on the Rocky Mountain Gardening forum - probably the only regular in the Pacific time zone but hey . . .

I think there's not a single ID county that wouldn't be considered a part of the Intermountain West. Just scratching my head and thinkin' . . .

Steve's digits

• glen_or_linda
    16 years ago

Hello all,
    I am glad to find this forum. We moved over to the Idaho side last summer from Cokeville, Wyoming which is south of Afton and north of Evanston over here to Chubbuck which is a northern suburb of Pocatello. We had to move so my hubby could be closer to medical facilities.

I will start gardening in my little yard this spring. It is a tiny yard with nothing to work with so I will be starting from scratch which is good but I am sure getting tired of building wonderful gardens and then having to move and start over again.

I am wondering if anyone knows of the best place to get good compost? I have had compost piles everywhere I lived but didn't have a chance to get one started yet here. Do any of the city or county landfills have the free or low priced compost or mulch? I am going to start calling around but I thought this might be a good place to ask for those in the know! LOL

Nice to meet all of you. Happy gardening!

Linda

• laag
    16 years ago

I used to live in Deary and landscaped in Moscow. I'm a U of Idaho Landscape Architecture alum now practicing in Massachusetts. I miss Idaho, especially the very friendly people.

.... just lurking to reminisce.

• spogarden
    16 years ago

we are close to you, Spokane valley. I am an organic gardener, trying to get into homesteading. I think we are going to CDA for dinner tonight

• deewee
    16 years ago

Wow, got online to check out possible garden mosaic ideas, lo and behold you aren't the only one. Over here in the Silver Valley, currently waiting for this rain to melt ALL the snow we rec'd this winter. Not too fast tho, flooding a big issue here. Been gardening 15 years on my own, many more with my folks when we lived in Metaline Falls, WA, as well some raised bed gardening in Alaska for 15 yrs. Hardscaped backyard last year, recently remarried, had the new husband sell his old chevy truck to make room for the new vegie garden plot this spring. Have been composting since Aug. of last year. Ready to start digging, spreading, planting-just waiting on Mother Nature. I am a private contractor that sprays weeds, as well as part of the Noxious weed board here as well, so have quite a bit of experience on weed questions for anyone. Folks are up in Blanchard, nice gardens, fighting with the deer as well as you folks up North.

• zazzyrella
    16 years ago

I just joined.. I live in St. Maries, south of Coeur d'Alene. We've lived here for 25 years now. Recently one of our neighbors started feeding deer in the winter.. now we are overrun! My neighbor has counted 30 in my yard at one time and we live in town!

Take care,
    Zazzy

• breezy02
    16 years ago

Hi. I live in the Magic Valley area. It's been along cold winter.

• russianolivebonsai
    16 years ago

i`m from idaho falls do any of you go to farmers market?

• breezy02
    16 years ago

My sister and I met my niece in Boise last summer, it was alot of fun. They had the arts in the park at the same time.It was a full weekend. Looking forward to this summer.

• north_idaho_gal
    15 years ago

Hello, I just joined today. I'm in Naples, ID, about 7 miles South of Bonners Ferry & maybe about 40 miles from the Canadian border. Anyone else up near me? I'm new to gardening as I never had the room before. Looking forwards to learning from all you folks! Happy Spring!

• ms.idaho
    15 years ago

I'n in the Wood River Valley. Has eveyone's snow finally melted? The last patch is gone from our yard as of yesterday!!! woo-hoo!!

Hopefully this ID forum gets more active this year.

• susaninthegarden
    15 years ago

hi! from minicassia area. just getting some roses planted and waiting for the tomatoes to be able to go out.

hope we have our last frost finally! man it has been a long time coming this year.

• Shades_of_idaho
    15 years ago

Well I am really checking in late hope some one is still around. We just moved to Midvale ,Idaho. Have NO YARD!!!
    :^((( New place and starting from scratch. EEEKKK Scary.

Chris

• cdaartlady
    15 years ago

Hi All,
    I live in Coeur D Alene moved here from Michigan 3 years ago.I used to come here all the time but have had no place to garden.Only a small patio and a indoor herb one.
    We are moving to Post Falls in a few weeks with close to a 1/4 acre for me to play with , Im so happy to have a yard again.
    Nice to see a lot more people in here :)

• mtnstan
    15 years ago

From Preston, ID just over the ID/UT border....Gods country :D

• idaho_gardener
    15 years ago

Preston? Say hello to Napoleon Dynamite and the gang.

• love2garden2
    15 years ago

Hi, I'm in Sandpoint and have been here for almost 3 years. We came from sunny California and I definitely got spoiled when came to my garden. I've got a beautiful garden and love it, but I seem to running out of time again this year. I've got so many green tomatoes it isn't even funny. Even my zucchini plant isn't happy and I'm used to having zucchini coming out of my ears. I don't think the family is too concerned about this fact, but... Is anyone else frustrated. Any suggestions in general or on how to extend the growing season here in Northern Idaho.

• botanybob
    15 years ago

love2garden -- This is a good question, but you might get more responses if you start a new post rather than tagging on this one.

There are many season extenders which you can find in an online search. What works elsewhere will work here.

Some ideas are
    1. Grow short-season varieties.
    2. Build raised beds.
    3. Use suspended row-cover fabrics.
    4. Use individual plant covers like hot caps or wall-o-water.
    5. As much as possible, plant indoor grown seedlings instead of seeds. This gives your plants a headstart on the growing season.
    6. Grow more cool-season vegetables like peas, carrots, spinach, etc. Cole crops can handle considerable frost and it improves the flavor at harvest.

--Bob

• debbieg
    15 years ago

I'm in Eagle. We moved from California almost 2 years ago and I'm not even close to figuring things out! The soil is the pits! I'm hoping to find some help here at GardenWeb. I used to think of myself as a pretty good gardener... not anymore!

• idaho_gardener
    15 years ago

debbieg, hook up with the Soil and Compost forum. Also, check in with Zamzows at the corner of Eagle Rd. and the highway. Compost, manure, leaves, etc. are what you probably need. Is your soil stony? If you're from California, you might have 'moved up' to a home on Eagle Island - stony land.

• growinidaho
    14 years ago

I am new here and to gardening. So glad to bump into this site! I'm 1 hour north of Boise.

• gailhengen
    14 years ago

i'm a few month old member of this forum i'm still getting my feet wet. still learning my way around the place and the howto's etc!

i saw some one was from the ID/WA border area?? so am i! i'm about 45 minutes from lewiston ID in a wittle town called Orofino :)

send me a howdo!

• luvidaho_2010
    13 years ago

Looks like no one has been here for over a year, I am always late!!!!!! I am north of Boise.

• idaho_gardener
    13 years ago

Hi luv. Welcome to the forum.

North of Boise? Horseshoe Bend? Garden Valley?

• mpratt208
    13 years ago

I'm in SW Boise!

• luvidaho_2010
    13 years ago

Sorry, I haven't checked this forum for a while. I live in Weiser.

• mettzfamilygarden
    13 years ago

Treasure Valley here..... Nampa.... So tired of winter this year. Doing raised veggie beds this year.

• luvidaho_2010
    13 years ago

I am doing raised beds this year also. I am tired of puncture vine in my hands and knees whenever I try to work in my garden. Also going to try edible landscaping, a few veggies in my flower beds. So far no rain here today, but it is cloudy. I am looking forward to it drying out a bit so I can get some work done outside!

• Bonnie Goodrich
    8 years ago

Oh, dear! This is so old; I hope you haven't all given up and gone away. Princeton here, just east of Potlatch.

• elfinowl
    8 years ago

Nope. Still check in from time to time.

• captaindirt
    8 years ago

I'm in zones 6-7 northern Idaho on the snake river. been gardening for over 25 years.

• boisenoise
    8 years ago

I'm still in Boise . . . just not on "houzz" any more.

• maro
    7 years ago

South Central ID, zone 4b

• LindaWa
    7 years ago

Hi I just moved to Emmett in the Boise area. I need all the help I can get.

• digit (ID/WA, border)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

You are about 200' higher in elevation and about 4° lower in latitude but ..

. are you only needing local help?

I looked at the climate numbers for Emmett and it's a couple of degrees warmer and a little drier than here but not much.

Steve

• LindaWa
    7 years ago

Okay first what kind of trees do best here? I need shade trees and fruit trees. Where my house is was surrounded by cherry trees at one time or so I am told. When to plant them and what shrubs do best. I need color and advice. lol I moved from zone 9 so I'm sort of lost.

• digit (ID/WA, border)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Tree selection for Southwestern Idaho might be a little different but the list on page 6 of this University of Idaho booklet (pdf) sure has familiar names. I don't know much about landscaping trees but they are our experts.

To show how little I know, I only recently learned, over on the Rocky Mountain Gardening GW forum, that it's those ornamental pears that have such an unpleasant odor for a few days every year. I like the shape of the Lindens and we are seeing lots of them show up along streets and in parks.

This isn't quite the commercial apple growing area - but close! There are lots of nice apples nearby. And, I'm a guy who almost grew up in the peach and pear orchards of Oregon's Rogue River Valley. I'm not sure if I'd recommend either of those altho I have a peach tree in my backyard. It really has good and bad years and not many of the good. Two fruit trees I think people are really missing out on as well-adapted choices here are apricots and French prunes. I know of two apricot trees in vacant lots. They receive no water or care whatsoever but have crops each year. One was near my garden several years ago. So close, it must have benefited from my sprinklers. It had super crops the 3 years I was there - no more.

The French prune in my father's yard, I moved there from my home before it grew enough to flower and make a crop. It did wonderfully and its replacement has also ... yeah, it was me who hit that tree with the lawnmower! The damage was bad enough that it had to be replaced. That was about 20 years ago and my parents liked that tree so well, they bought another French prune. It is on dwarfing rootstock but quite large with great crops ... at least that was true the last time I saw it. Dad sold the house about 6 years ago.

Steve

• LindaWa
    7 years ago

Wow and Wow.

Thank you guys so much for all the information. Its a lot to digest. I love the idea of fruit trees and will search the local nurserys and see what I can find. I saw the Catalpa trees and really like the look of them.

We have 5 acres so lots of space to try different things. If anyone knows any good nursery please let me know. I'll be looking up the trees and shrubs I am not familiar with .

Thanks again

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting