Fri, Jun 30, 06 at 22:12

Where are all the idaho gardeners??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I can't be the only one!!!

victor id right next to the teton mountains

o

Checking in from the far north, up near Sandpoint. I just found this forum. I hope there are enough of us to keep it going!
I've been gardening in Idaho for eight years and have learned a lot of things that might be of use to other Idahoans. I bet there are lots of Idaho growers I can learn from, too. Is anybody out there????

Jeanne

o

Another Jeanie here from way up in the far north.
Hope this forum takes off for all of us in Idaho.

o

I'm up between Sandpoint and Coeur d' Alene . I just moved to a more rural area and stated a new garden with new problems.
Besides having to put a tall fence up, I'm doing raised beds this time made from block.(save my ole' back in the future) So far 2 beds, with a token "Salsa Garden" planted in it... next year i hope to have 2 more beds for my favorites like broccoli and cukes which grow great here.
We have a pond and creek area's. I just got my new pump and all the fixings to irrigate from a shallow well we dug.
We planted 8 new trees this year. Willow's , old green type, gold and black and interesting corkscrew willow. A weeping birch and 3 Italian prune plum tree's. Had to put big cages around them to keep the deer from nibbling. so far there doing great in our wet spring and summer here. Hoping to talk to anyone interested in landscaping or fixing up a overgrown pond JoAnn
I love the Garden Junk forum here, check it out! I like to intergrate some fun free finds into my flower beds.

o

Sagle here I love to watch the deer but I wish they would leave my plants alone LOL They don't seem to bother my little pond I am wondering if it's because of the mint I have planted there.

o

Wow! I didn't realize how many folks from around here are GardenWebbers. I live in Athol but work in Sandpoint. I have the pleasure of running the Master Gardener program here. I don't seem to have a lot of time to do my own gardening but try to keep a cutting garden. I will keep an eye on this forum.

--Bob

o

Glad to see you all here! I'm over here in Coeur d'Alene and I just love to putter in my yard. As my User name states I definately Try too hard sometimes and make some pretty stupid mistakes sometimes so it'll be nice to have some other input. I've found these forums to be fabulous!

o

JJ, you are not the only one, I thought I would come over from Garden Buddies and see what is happening over here.

How is your Pond? Did you go on the Pond Tour.

o

Checking in late from Southwest Idaho, Nampa area. Are most of you up there in the cold, cold North? Seems so.

o

I'm down here in Boise.

o

Idaho falls here...

o

Nampa here...

o

In the "empty" space between Eagle and Boise

o

Nampa, ID here. Just off Midway Rd.

o

Wow- I can't believe there are other gardeners in the Sandpoint area here- thats great. I just signed on and was looking to communicate with gardeners in the area. I'm actually about 15 miles north of Sandpoint. Email me if anyone is interested in trading plants.

o

HI! I'm up above Cocolalla Lake just south of Sandpoint.

o

Shelley here. Just south of Idaho Falls, Retired so spend a lot time in my garden, Eating, Summer squash, Beans, Corn, and cabbage, The broccoli, culiflower, peas etc all finished for the year.

o

Indian Valley (N of Boise).

o

I'm from Idaho Falls also!

o

Will be moving to the St Maries area in 08.
Have a ton to learn about gardening in the mountains!
Heidi

o

I'm in Emmett. I have a few gardening posts on my blog, including a lasagna gardening post with pics. Look in the September archives.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tater Tot Casserole

o

Lets see how long it takes for someone to respond to this. Twin Falls area, Usually like to check the hummgbird Forum out. I miss the little birds and I cant wait until spring, and its not even winter yet.

o

Paul on the Meridian/Boise border. Nice looking soil here.

o

My gardens are on a different border - the WA/ID line up here in the Panhandle.

I've watched this forum since its inception and even posted once or twice.

Counting posts on this thread (and trying to only use my fingers while not taking off my shoes ;o) - I've counted 25 posts over the course of 18 months. I guess that's about 1 every 3 weeks. There's no question that this is the most active thread but once every 3 weeks?!?

I spend quite a bit of time over on the Rocky Mountain Gardening forum - probably the only regular in the Pacific time zone but hey . . .

I think there's not a single ID county that wouldn't be considered a part of the Intermountain West. Just scratching my head and thinkin' . . .

Steve's digits

o

Hello all,
I am glad to find this forum. We moved over to the Idaho side last summer from Cokeville, Wyoming which is south of Afton and north of Evanston over here to Chubbuck which is a northern suburb of Pocatello. We had to move so my hubby could be closer to medical facilities.

I will start gardening in my little yard this spring. It is a tiny yard with nothing to work with so I will be starting from scratch which is good but I am sure getting tired of building wonderful gardens and then having to move and start over again.

I am wondering if anyone knows of the best place to get good compost? I have had compost piles everywhere I lived but didn't have a chance to get one started yet here. Do any of the city or county landfills have the free or low priced compost or mulch? I am going to start calling around but I thought this might be a good place to ask for those in the know! LOL

Nice to meet all of you. Happy gardening!

Linda

o

• Posted by laag z6CapeCod (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 9, 08 at 20:41

I used to live in Deary and landscaped in Moscow. I'm a U of Idaho Landscape Architecture alum now practicing in Massachusetts. I miss Idaho, especially the very friendly people.

.... just lurking to reminisce.

o

we are close to you, Spokane valley. I am an organic gardener, trying to get into homesteading. I think we are going to CDA for dinner tonight

o

Wow, got online to check out possible garden mosaic ideas, lo and behold you aren't the only one. Over here in the Silver Valley, currently waiting for this rain to melt ALL the snow we rec'd this winter. Not too fast tho, flooding a big issue here. Been gardening 15 years on my own, many more with my folks when we lived in Metaline Falls, WA, as well some raised bed gardening in Alaska for 15 yrs. Hardscaped backyard last year, recently remarried, had the new husband sell his old chevy truck to make room for the new vegie garden plot this spring. Have been composting since Aug. of last year. Ready to start digging, spreading, planting-just waiting on Mother Nature. I am a private contractor that sprays weeds, as well as part of the Noxious weed board here as well, so have quite a bit of experience on weed questions for anyone. Folks are up in Blanchard, nice gardens, fighting with the deer as well as you folks up North.

o

I just joined.. I live in St. Maries, south of Coeur d'Alene. We've lived here for 25 years now. Recently one of our neighbors started feeding deer in the winter.. now we are overrun! My neighbor has counted 30 in my yard at one time and we live in town!

Take care,
Zazzy

o

Hi. I live in the Magic Valley area. It's been along cold winter.

o

i`m from idaho falls do any of you go to farmers market?

o

My sister and I met my niece in Boise last summer, it was alot of fun. They had the arts in the park at the same time.It was a full weekend. Looking forward to this summer.

o

Hello, I just joined today. I'm in Naples, ID, about 7 miles South of Bonners Ferry & maybe about 40 miles from the Canadian border. Anyone else up near me? I'm new to gardening as I never had the room before. Looking forwards to learning from all you folks! Happy Spring!

o

I'n in the Wood River Valley. Has eveyone's snow finally melted? The last patch is gone from our yard as of yesterday!!! woo-hoo!!

Hopefully this ID forum gets more active this year.

o

hi! from minicassia area. just getting some roses planted and waiting for the tomatoes to be able to go out.

hope we have our last frost finally! man it has been a long time coming this year.

o

Well I am really checking in late hope some one is still around. We just moved to Midvale ,Idaho. Have NO YARD!!!
:^((( New place and starting from scratch. EEEKKK Scary.

Chris

o

Hi All,
I live in Coeur D Alene moved here from Michigan 3 years ago.I used to come here all the time but have had no place to garden.Only a small patio and a indoor herb one.
We are moving to Post Falls in a few weeks with close to a 1/4 acre for me to play with , Im so happy to have a yard again.
Nice to see a lot more people in here :)

o
RE: I can't be the only one!!! You are not alone

From Preston, ID just over the ID/UT border....Gods country :D

o

Preston? Say hello to Napoleon Dynamite and the gang.

o

Hi, I'm in Sandpoint and have been here for almost 3 years. We came from sunny California and I definitely got spoiled when came to my garden. I've got a beautiful garden and love it, but I seem to running out of time again this year. I've got so many green tomatoes it isn't even funny. Even my zucchini plant isn't happy and I'm used to having zucchini coming out of my ears. I don't think the family is too concerned about this fact, but... Is anyone else frustrated. Any suggestions in general or on how to extend the growing season here in Northern Idaho.

o

love2garden -- This is a good question, but you might get more responses if you start a new post rather than tagging on this one.

There are many season extenders which you can find in an online search. What works elsewhere will work here.

Some ideas are
1. Grow short-season varieties.
2. Build raised beds.
3. Use suspended row-cover fabrics.
4. Use individual plant covers like hot caps or wall-o-water.
5. As much as possible, plant indoor grown seedlings instead of seeds. This gives your plants a headstart on the growing season.
6. Grow more cool-season vegetables like peas, carrots, spinach, etc. Cole crops can handle considerable frost and it improves the flavor at harvest.

--Bob

o

I'm in Eagle. We moved from California almost 2 years ago and I'm not even close to figuring things out! The soil is the pits! I'm hoping to find some help here at GardenWeb. I used to think of myself as a pretty good gardener... not anymore!

o

debbieg, hook up with the Soil and Compost forum. Also, check in with Zamzows at the corner of Eagle Rd. and the highway. Compost, manure, leaves, etc. are what you probably need. Is your soil stony? If you're from California, you might have 'moved up' to a home on Eagle Island - stony land.

o

I am new here and to gardening. So glad to bump into this site! I'm 1 hour north of Boise.

o

i'm a few month old member of this forum i'm still getting my feet wet. still learning my way around the place and the howto's etc!

i saw some one was from the ID/WA border area?? so am i! i'm about 45 minutes from lewiston ID in a wittle town called Orofino :)

send me a howdo!

o

Looks like no one has been here for over a year, I am always late!!!!!! I am north of Boise.

o

Hi luv. Welcome to the forum.

North of Boise? Horseshoe Bend? Garden Valley?

o

I'm in SW Boise!

o

Sorry, I haven't checked this forum for a while. I live in Weiser.

o

Treasure Valley here..... Nampa.... So tired of winter this year. Doing raised veggie beds this year.

o

I am doing raised beds this year also. I am tired of puncture vine in my hands and knees whenever I try to work in my garden. Also going to try edible landscaping, a few veggies in my flower beds. So far no rain here today, but it is cloudy. I am looking forward to it drying out a bit so I can get some work done outside!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Idaho Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here