Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mollymaples

Welcome Idaho

mollymaples
17 years ago

Well, since I am newer to Idaho than to the Garden Web, it seems only fitting that I post something in this forum, since I am not seeing any other post. Northern Idaho gardening is great. We've only had to water a couple of times, it rained all spring. The "seasonal" springs run all but one month out of the year then it rains and brings the springs back to life. Of course, my gardening experience is limited to flowers and grass, but I'll get wiser as the years go by.

Comments (27)

• idahodaisy
    17 years ago

I am in north Idaho too

• hummerlover
    17 years ago

Hello! Does anyone live in southern Idaho? I`m new to Idaho.

• mollymaples
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Idahodaisy and hummerlover, thanks for your reply. Hummerlover, my swans are from Meridian if that is any consolation, and I am a Wyoming transplant. Idahodaisy, where are you from??

• idahodaisy
    17 years ago

I was born in Sandpoint along with my parents and grandarents

• lynnieh
    17 years ago

I live in Boise. Nice to see Idaho represented here!

• firemansmom
    17 years ago

Welcome lynnieh, I am in Parma, do you know where that is? I wanted to move to Marsing but couldn't find anything there in my price range.

• idahodaisy
    17 years ago

I was not thinking when I posted I was born and raised in Sandpoint I now live in Sagle

• hummerlover
    17 years ago

Molly,

I bet your swans are beautiful! I would love to see a picture of your swans . I`m wanting to get a picture of my hummingbirds, but some of them are not that comfortable around the feeder, so if I take a picture I`m afraid that I`m going to scare them off.

• idahodaisy
    17 years ago

hummerlover
    I can get up to 2 feet away from mine for some reason all I have had is females

• hummerlover
    17 years ago

Daisy,
    I`m not to sure what I have, some will come up to the feeder when I`m outside on the deck.Some will decide to come for a drink later if I`m there. My feeder is outside my kitchen window, I wanted to see them when I`m washing the dishes. I`ve heard the females are real skiddish. So I thought I had alot of maybe, young males. Some of them can`t reach to perch on the feeder.There is one that is all grey that does perch , I think It`s a anna . Some Have spots like dalmations , I think they are costas. Anyway I`m afraid if I take a picture that they will not come back.I think I maybe have eight different birds , I wish I could stand there all day.

• firemansmom
    17 years ago

I don't know if my hummers are male or female except they do seem to be fighting recently, don't know what that means. Mostly they are there in the evening, I am trying to plant some flowering type bushes for them but its just been too hot.

• hummerlover
    17 years ago

Fire,
    I hope thats okay if I call you that. I think your hummers are being territorial. I have been trying to do research and thats why I think it`s strange that I have different hummers sharing the feeder .Murphy`s law now that I say something. You might have to get another feeder. Have you got any trees yet? It`s been so hot! Back In colorado sometimes it would reach close to 120. I want to get a firecracker plant It`s suppose to attract hummers, they want nothing to do with petunia`s atleast what I have seen .I`ll probably have to wait for next year for more plants.. How is your garden doing? IdahoDaisy is growing tomatoes they taste so much better from the garden, then compared to getting them from the store.Try to keep cool.

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    17 years ago

idahodaisy, what's the difference, Sagle or Sandpoint, same area (yes, I know the main difference is one really long bridge)!
    I'm down in Careywood, on the lower slopes of Blacktail Mountain.

Jeanne

• idahodaisy
    17 years ago

Not much all the towns pretty much run togetter. I hate going to Sandpoint I wish they would get that bypass done.

• masaquah
    17 years ago

Well, we live in west-central Idaho about 120 miles nw of boise. We're at 3800 feet elevation, about 1100 feet above the nearest town, Cambridge. Speaking of hummingbirds and such, my wife has all the local chickadees so tame that they follow us when we take walks on the property, and as soon as you extend a hand, they land on it looking for sunflower seeds. We've had them follow us for a quarter of a mile.

• Sandc
    17 years ago

Daisy-I had not heard of a bypass......

• idahodaisy
    17 years ago

Sandc they call it by a lot of names my grandpa ( and hes been dead or 11 years) said they talked about it when he was a kid The plans are to make a road that comes off the bridge bypass Sandpoint along sand creek and come out some where by the stop light. I wish they would hurry I am sick of going into Sandpoint and fighting traffic, bikes, people, skate boards just to go to Ponderay.

• KatieC
    17 years ago

I'm north of Spirit Lake. Ah, the bypass...do you think they'll really do it this time? I heard it was a go, then I heard it wasn't.

• firemansmom
    17 years ago

Hummerlover its ok to call me fire but on the junkgarden forum they call me mom. I have a few trees, elms I think but my horses love the leaves and they are limbed up pretty high, I have bought some trees and a butterfly bush but have been advised not to plant until fall.
    Masaquah I wish I had your wifes patients, I would love to have the birds follow me that way.

• idahodaisy
    17 years ago

I think they will get the bypass done at some time hopefully in my life time LOL

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    17 years ago

Don't count on it!
    Jeanne

• botanybob
    17 years ago

There are some big drawings of what the bypass will look like posted in the Bonner Mall. That may be as real as it ever gets.

--Bob
    Athol, ID

• rockymtngirl
    17 years ago

Hi, I'm new to this site but, not too Idaho. I live in valley county in the central part where it is very cold and hard to garden. Was looking to move towards Sandpoint was wanting to know how the weather was for gardening there?
    I see that it snows but, doesn't seem to be as much. Thanks for any help!!

• aggieinid
    17 years ago

Hi! Checking in from the Magic Valley- close to Twin Falls. Haven't been checking the forums much this summer but winter's coming on!
    aggieinid

• botanybob
    17 years ago

rockymtngirl - Sandpoint should have a better growing season than Valley Co. We average 110 days frost-free, warm days and cool nights in the summer. Annual precip is over 30"/year.

--Bob

• cocolallakids
    17 years ago

HI there! I'm from Cocolalla also have a seasonal creek that usually dries up in late August to Sept. I have been over run by deer lately so my gardens look miserable...thankfully winter is near. I must say I'm anxiously waiting for spring when the new Florascape nursery in Cocolalla opens!!

• mollymaples
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My spring dried up the first of July, yours must run longer. And, as much I don't like the rain every single day, it is nice to have it flowing again. Makes the water in the pond so much cleaner. Also, I have noticed that Florascape has good prices on their plants, I haven't bought anything yet, but plan on doing so this spring.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals