Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firemansmom

New to Idaho

firemansmom
17 years ago

I checked this forum out a couple of times and no posts and I hate to be the only one so I am glad there are some posts now.

I am new to Idaho, moved here in May from SW Oregon, I live in Parma now and gardening here is going to be a whole new experience. I live in farm country so I know things grow good here. Several plants that I brought with me from Oregon have already died or are looking like they want to go back home. I usually post on the garden junk forum because I do alot of crafting and TS shopping for my garden.

Anyway hope to meet some more Idahoians (is that what we are?)

firemansmom

Comments (7)

• terrybull
    17 years ago

wheres parma? so many zones to much time.(for the best tomatoes ive ever grown)

• firemansmom
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Parma is near Caldwell and Nampa, it is about 50 miles from Boise.

• irishpat
    17 years ago

I live in Sand Hollow which is down the road just a bit from you toward Ontario, OR. I moved here from Northern California (near Tahoe) where we got snow in winter, but winter lasted about 2 months. Living here has been different. The growing season seems like it's much shorter. Spring is really short and then hot, hot weather....as you can see. Also where we live in Idaho, the wind blows like crazy and it helps to make the soil like concrete. I have ag land all around me. Last year we had a terrible time with voles (tiny moles) that tore up our entire property including the garden. My husband would literally kill 15-25 of them each day when he came home. This year they are not around....maybe they got the hint.

Your plants are going to notice how DRY it is here, whereas in Oregon it's more humid. It's a major climate change for them. Good luck in Parma!

• hummerlover
    17 years ago

Hello!
    I`m new to Idaho also just recently moved here from colorado .I have family here.It is quite a life style change. I`m use to the hot summers , we came from Denver.I dont have much of a garden this year because of my baby. Maybe next year. I do have a few plants to attract hummingbirds. I`m usally over on another forum for hummingbirds. I thought I would check the Idaho forum out. I hope someone responds back.I`m located in southern Idaho.Again hello to all the people that live in Idaho!
    Hummmerlover

• karalyn
    17 years ago

Hi all of you new to Idaho!

I managed to move here after I married an Idaho Farm Boy from Eastern Idaho. Talk about cold and wind. Boise is a piece of cake after living there for 5 years.

I'm enjoying my gardening here and am very fond of fish ponds, watergardening, clematis collecting, as well as all hardy perennials. Such as Cranesbill, Coral Bells, Hostas, ground cover, columbines, roses and fruit trees.

I enjoy hot summers, but it has been too hot here when i'm not at a water park, river or pool. Too hot to garden even.

I moved here from The bay area and I have survived living in Idaho for 28 years. I couldn't the house and yard I have now in California. Although I miss the ocean a lot.

• grdnfl
    15 years ago

Hello, I am also new to the area. I was born and raised up above grangeville, Idaho. I have been gone for many, many years and have just moved down here from Montana. I just purchased a home on an acre of dirt!!! Not even a blade of grass yet. There are alot of things I want to do for next spring. But the first and foremost is some kind of a privacy hedge. I was thinking old fashioned lilacs. But not sure if young plants would survive the winter. Any way, nice meeting you all and hope to become friends. ps i have a niece that lives in Parma

• Shades_of_idaho
    15 years ago

Hi Hope this is not too late. You bet lilacs will survive.They are tough as nails. Love them!! I just planted 4 young ones at our new house in Midvale.I am in a hurry right now but will be back to post more later.

Welcome to all newcomers!! Guess that means me too. Hehehehe

Chris

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!