Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moulman

Tomato situation

moulman
17 years ago

I've got a lot of big beautiful tom plants, all with tons of flowers, and most with green tomatoes already set. But I am way overdue, at least based on the DTM listed for the various varieties.

For example, I have 56, 58 and 60 day toms that are now pushing into the 75 day territory and still green. I know that those are just guidlines, but it is taking a very long time for them to mature/ripen.

Now the weather outlook for us is 100+ degrees for the next 4-5 days. Looks like I'll lose all those potential toms that are now just flowers.

Any one else having a slow tomato crop?

Comments (7)

• terrybull
    17 years ago

moulman,my toms are 4 feet tall, full of green toms and flowers.its been a liitle over ninety here. i went and got a big piece of shade cloth just in case it goes to that 100 degree point, its pretty cheap.on the DTM i dont really pay that much attention to that,its for the best conditions.we had a month of 80's and nites 40 to 45.

• lynnieh
    17 years ago

Moulman, we only have two plants. One is an "Early Girl" and we've had about 5 ripen so far. The other plant still only has green toms on it. Yesterday, both plants looked wonderful. They are a bit too tall (tomtrees I call them) but today, after the 107 temp. the Early Girl turned yellow in a matter of a few hours. We gave it extra water, so here's hoping.

• hummerlover
    17 years ago

I`m not growing tomatoes this year, new house did`nt have time to start a garden,It was to late, but when I did grow tomatoes I would cut back some of the leaves then the tomato plant can spend more time producing the tomatoes instead of making more leaves. It worked for me . Hopefully we will have enough of a Indian summer where temps wont get to low so atleast your plants will have enough time to produce some tomatoes well into fall. I dont know where your at but I`m in southern Idaho and it`s hotter than you know what.

• celestial
    17 years ago

starve 'em -- cut back on the water and don't fertilize at all (I never fertilize after planting except for a few early-on homemade brix boosting applications--no added nitrogen ever.) Plus, thirsty tomatoes are the tastiest :)

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    17 years ago

The times you see listed in the catalogs are based on Midwestern growing conditions, since that's where most of the gardeners in the country live. Midwestern summer nights are warm or even hot. Your nights are warmer than mine up here in the mountains, but nowhere in the state of Idaho are the nights as warm as in the Midwest. That slows tomatoes WAYYY down. Don't take it personally, it's nothing you can help. You could grow ultrafast tomatoes next year, if you want a crop sooner.

Jeanne

• moulman
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yeah, but I've been growing toms in this same spot for several years now, and they always give me plenty of early varieties by mid July.

Everything is ripening now -

Matt - hoping for another 6wks of weather!

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    17 years ago

I'm glad it's working out for you. If you would like to experiment with a couple of superfast varieties next year, to get an earlier crop than you usually do, Sungold and Early Cascade are good varieties to try. Sungold is an orange cherry tomato that is so yummy, even non-tomato-lovers eat it out of hand. Everybody I know who has ever tasted it, loves it. A couple of coworkers of mine who aren't really tomato fans still grow Sungold - and no other tomato. Early Cascade is a medium-sized red that can be used for slicing or for canning/saucing.

Jeanne

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES