Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jomama3_gw

Your best Zucchinni recipe

jomama3
17 years ago

We all have lots of zucchinni, and neighbors giving us zucchinni thats 2 foot long...what's your bust Zucchinni recipe ?

STUFFED BAKED ZUCCHINNI

6 zucchini of the same size, weighing about 1 3/4 pounds (800 g) in all

1/4 pound (100 g) ground beef

1/4 pound (100 g) fresh mild Italian sausage, peeled and crumbled

A couple ounces of day old bread, crusts removed and crumbled (3/4 cup not packed)

4 tablespoons grated Parmigiano

An egg

1 clove garlic

A medium-sized onion

A small bunch parsley

1 tablespoon unsalted butter

1 tablespoon olive oil

1/2 a bullion cube

Fresh thyme

Salt & pepper to taste

1/2 tablespoon tomato paste diluted in 1/4 cup water or broth

PREPARATION:

*If using a big Zucchinni , i take a baking sheet and put it over two stove burners and cook flesh side down in boiling water)))

Moisten the bread in cold water. Salt some water in a large pot and bring it to a boil. While it's heating cut the zucchini in half and scoop out the pulp. Mince the pulp with the onion, garlic and parsley, and sauté the mixture in the butter and oil until it is lightly browned, then crumble the bullion over it and transfer it to a bowl. Squeeze the bread dry and combine it, the egg, the cheese, and the meats with the vegetable mixture. Mix well and season the stuffing to taste with salt, pepper and thyme.

By now the water in the pot will be boiling; add the zucchini and cook them for 5 minutes from the time the water resumes boiling. Then remove them and set them upside down so they drain as they cool. Preheat your oven to 380 F (190 C).

Fill the zucchini with the stuffing, pressing it down firmly. Arrange the zucchini in a buttered pan, brush them with the tomato mixture, and bake them for 25 minutes, basting regularly with the pan drippings. If they appear to be overbrowning, cover them with some aluminum foil for the last 10 minutes. Serve at once.

Comments (9)

• mla2ofus
    17 years ago

My favorite recipe is:
    Fried Zucchini Cheese Bread
    2 cups grated zucchini
    1/4 cup minced onion
    1 cup Bisquick
    1 egg
    1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
    Mix all ingredients together and fry in small amount of oil or butter. So easy and so good!

• jomama3
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yum I'm going to try your fried Zucchini cheese bread tonight!

• mla2ofus
    17 years ago

Hi Jomama3. How did you like it? I'm going to make some tomorrow night to go with elk steak, mashed potatoes and gravy, and fresh green beans. I tried your stuffed Zucchini last night minus the Italian sausage and it was really good...just as good tonight too. lol I do love leftovers.

• jomama3
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We loved the zucchinni cheese pattys! My husband is eating them cold out of the frige and thinks there great !

My kids took some funny shaped zucchinni's and made garden creatures out of them for the fair. I'll have to take a picture of them and post. JoAnn

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    17 years ago

Fried Zucchini Steaks

Use overgrown zucchini or any other summer squash, so you can get slices 3-4" wide and 1/2" thick. DON'T use them if air holes are starting to appear or seeds are toughening. Sprinkle salt, pepper, and garlic powder onto both sides of the slices, then coat generously with flour. Dip in some egg beaten with a little milk, then coat generously with bread crumbs. Fry in 1/4" of canola oil over medium-high heat until breading is brown and crispy. Drain on paper towels and serve with lemon wedges.

Makes a good side dish or a vegetarian main course. Makes a darned good lunch with some salad on the side.

Jeanne

• jomama3
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jeanne, I tried your recipe and then made it into Parmesan , like eggplant parm. it was great! last night i marinated slices in regular Italian salad dressing and then grilled, they were awsome! I'm going to make burgers tonight and oven fried Zuc sticks. I also found a new recipe for Impossibly Easy Zucchini Pie. made with Bisquick and for a Pineapple Zucchini Bread i'm going to try. As you can tell i've had another bumper crop of Zucchini and i only planted 2 plants. JoAnn

• mollymaples
    17 years ago

Since it is that time of year when the Zucs are getting BIG, here is one where bigger is better. This will feed the whole family. (I like left overs, too) Zuchinni Lasagna
    One large Zucchini, peeled and sliced in long, thin slices. Throw away the seeds and the center pulp. Boil until soft.
    Brown two pounds of turkey hamburger, or beef if you prefer, add seasoning to taste.
    Mix three cups ricotta, 1 cup parmesan, 1 cup cottage cheeses and two eggs.
    One pound grated mozzarella cheese (I like cheese).
    1 quart of spaghetti sauce.
    Two bell peppers, one onion, and three medium tomatoes sliced thin
    Spread one cup spaghetti sauce on the bottom of a large baking pan, layer zucchini, hamburger, cheese mix, mozzarella cheese and remaining spaghetti sauce. Top off with fresh vegetables and mozzarella cheese. Bake at 400 for thirty minutes. Serves twelve (or six very hungry men.)
    Now, I am going to try the other two recipes. Thank you mla2ofus and jeanne

• boisenoise
    16 years ago

Well, it's zucchini time again, so I guess I'll resurrect this thread! :)

Sometimes I like to add sliced zucchini to other recipes that don't actually call for it . . . for example, I have a moussaka recipe that my family really likes, and I just add a layer of sliced zucchini. One recipe that my family enjoys is a Spanish-rice dish; it calls for sliced zucchini mixed in with the tomatoes and rice, served over baked meatballs. But probably our favorite zucchini recipe is a soup one: it has sliced zucchini and carrots in a beef bouillion-and-tomatoe-based broth, with cheese tortellini, sausage, and parsley.

• cdaartlady
    15 years ago

I am diabetic so I use zucchini in a lot of dishes but one of my favs is my hubby's.
    He takes Zucchini,Yellow Squash,Fresh Mushrooms,Shallots,Balsamic and a little olive oil or White Truffle oil then grills them.

Boise mom that soup sounds yummy gonna have to try that.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus