Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gaia_girl

Seeding Perrenials in Fall

gaia_girl
15 years ago

Hello!

I have a ton of wildflower seeds (Echinacea, Valerian, Mugwort, Poppies, etc...), that apparently can all be seeded in the fall. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this, and particularly:

1. When to do it (how late in the season, is it too late now?)

2. How to seed (soil/water conditions, etc...)

3. Care in general (lots of water, mulch in winter, etc...)

And, anything else anyone has to add, it is as usual, greatly appreciated!

Comments (3)

• botanybob
    15 years ago

I've not heard of this and it doesn't sound like a great idea. Are you talking about direct seeding in the ground, or growing indoors in a container? Fall planting of perennial plants is OK, but I don't think seedlings would have enough time to establish before winter. I think you would be better to wait until spring to plant seeds.

• gaia_girl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have heard of direct seeding in late fall from

1. the seed packets I have!
    2. from viewing mother nature in general

Echinaceas right now in Boise are going to seed, and those seeds are going to fall on the ground now. I guess i am trying to mimic what Mother Nature does, and I am not sure if Echinacea and the like require a certain amount of cold stratification to germinate successfully.

That's my take on it, however I have never attempted fall seeding. If i were to seed in spring, I believe I would have to seed in early spring, so that the seeds would go through some sort of cold-moist stratification.....or maybe I am really on a limb here.....any help or experiential wisdom would be much appreciated!

Danielle

• mollymaples
    15 years ago

gaia girl, I realize this is a late post, but, you may come back. Go to the winter sowing or gardening forum, You can sow seeds directly in the ground in the fall or in pots, I use ziplock containers. In the fall, gather your perennial seeds and plant them is some moist potting soil and stick them in the fridge or outside. I do both. I also throw seeds on the ground in the fall. Some get eaten, some live. Penstimon's, blue flax, and blanket flowers I have really good luck with just raking them in the ground in the fall. Little blue flax are starting to sprout even as cold as it has been. Some seeds, like golden rain, maple and other tree seeds do better if they have a period of freeze and thaw, so would morning glories if you catch them before they sprouted and froze. Breadseed poppies come up early spring if planted in the fall. The red buckeye should not freeze, I put them in the fridge over winter. The white ones you can plant in the ground and they will come out of the freeze just fine. I planted some "money plant" seeds this winter that were not sown last fall and not chilled, none of them came up. After two weeks, I threw the seeds in moist potting soil, in a ziplock container and stuck them outside for the month of February. They all sprouted. Lavender needs chilled as well. Also, garlic needs to be planted in the fall if you plan on a summer harvest, they need to "chill." Caution, soil should be moist, not wet or the seeds will rot.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida