Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mla2ofus

What is your favorite and least favorite flower to grow?

mla2ofus
17 years ago

My favorite is Scabious even though I have to deadhead it and fall Asters. My worst is Shasta Daisy and Holihocks. If I don't deadhead them, they reseed all over the place. So what is your favorite and least favorite flower?

Comments (9)

• mollymaples
    17 years ago

mla20fus, my favorite flowers are perennials, so I don't have to plant them every year. I also love Holihocks, (sorry, every plant needs loved by someone :),especially by an old outhouse or shed. I plant very few annuals, but I truely love breadseed poppy, especially the bright red ones. They bloom with the Shasta Daisy and really make a show. The daisies were all volunteer, but now that I know how they look with my poppies, they can stay. I also plant gypsoia (sp?) and moss rose every year, they too are worth the effort. Are your fall Asters the deep purple ones?

• mla2ofus
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have the purple ones and also a burgandy one. There's nothing shy about their blooms as they become a ball of purple and burgandy. The reason I don't care for Holihocks is, if you don't get them right away, it takes some major excavating to remove the roots. I love them in some one elses yard. LOL My flowerbeds are a jungle so it's hard to catch them when they have just sprouted. I didn't mention one plant that I love, Lilies of any kind, especialy the bulbious type though I have several daylilies too.

• jomama3
    17 years ago

I love Phlox ! they are intoxicating. I grow them in a large bed and have many colors. they are bursting right now. I love annual petuna's grown in mass too. they do so well here in the cold weather.

I can't say there is a flower or plant i don't like... besides knap weed, tansey and the like. JoAnn

• mollymaples
    17 years ago

I BOUGHT SOME PURPLE PHLOX AT WALMART, THEY DIED. FORTUNATELY, I HAVE SOME WHITE ONES THAT THE PREVIOUS HOME OWNER PLANTED. I LOVE THEM.

• jomama3
    17 years ago

I avoid Walmart for there plants, one year I got a virus on the tomatoes that came from walmart, the disease spread to my healthy plants and i had to remove the soil in the bed. it was a BIG pain!

• jordjikat
    17 years ago

Sorry, I too love Hollyhocks. Just because they are so reliable. I've found that if I just go out and cut back frequently they will rebloom all summer. I also love lilies of any kind. My least fav is iris,there's a short show and that's it. But, I still have them. Go figure.

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    17 years ago

Bearded iris, delphinium, and glads are my favorites. All are easy to grow here and make a heckuva show, some downright gaudy, for not all that much expense or work. I love Oriental lilies and their scent, but the scent triggers my headaches. Major bummer!

I don't like the look of hollyhocks, but I strongly dislike malva for its aggressive self-sowing and roots you CAN'T pull out. Or at least I can't get them out.

Jeanne

• botanybob
    17 years ago

I love statice because they dry so well. You can have great color all winter in your house from just a few plants. In spring I really like my daffodils. Deer won't eat them.

JoAnn - You shouldn't have to remove soil for a virus. It can only spread from another plant.

• jomama3
    17 years ago

Yikes Botanybob, not sure i wanted to hear i DID NOT have to remove the soil. I guess that's what i get for not reading up on the subject !

Sponsored