Return to the Idaho Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to buy Grape Vines in Idaho

Posted by backyardener z6 Idaho (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 26, 08 at 12:59

I live in Boise and I am looking to plant 3 more grape vines in my back yard next spring. I would really like to try out some of the California (European) varieties like Flame, Summer/Autumn Royal and Crimson Seedless, but I don't know where to get them. I realize that it is possible that a cold winter might kill them, but I want to try - global warming is on my side! I have found only a couple places on the internet that have them, but they won't ship to Idaho. Does anybody know a good nursery that might have these? Anybody have cuttings?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to buy Grape Vines in Idaho

I'm not sure I can help you find a place to buy grapes. The state of Idaho places limits on where grapes can be brought in from. Due to certain pests like the grape phylloxera, these limits are very strict. You can contact the Idaho State Dept. of Agriculture for more information on getting grapes vines. You might also contact your Ada County Extension Office for help.

There are many grapes which are hardy enough to survive Boise winters. The greater limitation is whether there is sufficient heat in the summer to ripen the fruit. This publication can help with that information.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing grapes in Idaho

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Idaho Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here