Return to the Idaho Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
brrrr

Posted by backyardener z6 Idaho (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 10, 09 at 12:06

Wow, it is cold. We are seeing below zero temps in Boise for the first time in more than 10 years. I remember as a kid hitting -25, hopefully the -6 is as low as it is going to go. Do any of you have plants that are marginal that may have been damaged by this cold weather? I am wondering about the local vineyards... I am planning to plant some wine grapes this spring and I know that they can't take much below zero. Kind of glad I waited until next year to plant them...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: brrrr

I planted a desert willow last spring. Two blueberries in large pots. An apple tree I started from seed last spring that's in a pot. Two shrubs I transplanted this fall. I'll have my eye on plant sales this spring to replace whatever doesn't make it.

o

I think the cold helps the snowpack. As I get older, I feel the cold more and more, but I still prefer cool weather to the blistering heat we usually get in the summertime.

I haven't planted anything that's going to be effected by the cold.

o

I'm all for the snowpack and "Cool" yes, but "COLD" no, I'll take 100 over 0. The 100 degree heat does not really bother me that much. At least we don't have the humidity to go with it. I'll take 100 degrees with 10% humidity over 85 degrees with 90% humidity.

It seems like the past few years have not given us much "cool" weather, it has jumped from cold to hot and back to cold without much in between.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Idaho Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here