Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idaho_gardener

Seed catalog recommendations

idaho_gardener
16 years ago

The gardening book I'm reading recommends that I buy my seeds from a supplier who is familiar with my area and gardening conditions. I looked through a list that Mother Earth News had provided but did not find a supplier that seemed suitable for the Intermountain West.

Does anybody have a recommendation, especially for the hot, dry conditions here in Southwest Idaho (Boise area)?

Thanks in advance.

-Paul in Meridian

Comments (6)

• boisenoise
    16 years ago

A sizeable amount of the nation's seeds are grown in Idaho, but since most of them (like those from Western Idaho Seed Company or Rogers Brothers Seed Company) are grown for wholesale, they end up being distributed through large national companies like Monsanto. When you buy seeds for sweet corn, peas, or beans, those seeds are often from fields in Idaho, no matter where you buy them! This means that if you live in southern Idaho, you could have better results by ordering seeds from Burpee than from "Seeds of Change," for instance.

I agree, though, that it would be nice to find a retail company specifically specializing in local seeds! Remember "Seeds Blum"? It was located right in Idaho City, but it was owned and operated by just one woman, and she eventually got overwhelmed and wasn't able to keep up with it.

• idaho_gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi, and thanks for the reply. I have been looking in my recently delivered catalog from Johnny's Seeds, and I'm thinking I'll order from them, even though they are in New England.

• alisonflower1
    16 years ago

I have the new Johnnys seed catalog too. I've had problems also with my soil. I live in spokane and just moved to a new home and the previous oweners had a garden.. Its the reason my husband and I bought the house. Here is a picture of my new home in spokane. Tell me what you think of the garden.

• ms.idaho
    15 years ago

I've been using Seed Savers Exchange with great results. They do have varieties developed in Idaho or for similar climates. This summer I'm trying blacktail watermelons. I've never had good luck with melons since the nights are so cool but this variety was developed just for that.

Just my opinion but Montesano linked seeds are something that should be stayed far away from. If anyone is interested, I have lists of companies that aren't tied with Montesano.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Savers Exchange

• susaninthegarden
    15 years ago

what is wrong with montesano? i am not familiar with them.

• ms.idaho
    15 years ago

Sorry - I meant to type Monsanto. Anyways, They develop and sell GMO (genetically modified organisms) seeds. Seeds that have live animals cells in them. These GMO plants threaten to spread by cross-pollinating and therefore contaminating our open pollinated seed just like that of rice seed that several countries won't buy from the US anymore. Monsanto scientists -- makers of dioxin, Agent Orange, genetically modified crops, round-up ready soybeans, and terminator seeds.

Not a good company IMO and threatening a lot of our heirloom varieties.