Return to the Idaho Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seed catalog recommendations

Posted by idaho_gardener 6a_sw_idaho (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 16, 07 at 20:49

The gardening book I'm reading recommends that I buy my seeds from a supplier who is familiar with my area and gardening conditions. I looked through a list that Mother Earth News had provided but did not find a supplier that seemed suitable for the Intermountain West.

Does anybody have a recommendation, especially for the hot, dry conditions here in Southwest Idaho (Boise area)?

Thanks in advance.

-Paul in Meridian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
local seeds

A sizeable amount of the nation's seeds are grown in Idaho, but since most of them (like those from Western Idaho Seed Company or Rogers Brothers Seed Company) are grown for wholesale, they end up being distributed through large national companies like Monsanto. When you buy seeds for sweet corn, peas, or beans, those seeds are often from fields in Idaho, no matter where you buy them! This means that if you live in southern Idaho, you could have better results by ordering seeds from Burpee than from "Seeds of Change," for instance.

I agree, though, that it would be nice to find a retail company specifically specializing in local seeds! Remember "Seeds Blum"? It was located right in Idaho City, but it was owned and operated by just one woman, and she eventually got overwhelmed and wasn't able to keep up with it.

o
RE: Seed catalog recommendations

Hi, and thanks for the reply. I have been looking in my recently delivered catalog from Johnny's Seeds, and I'm thinking I'll order from them, even though they are in New England.

o

I have the new Johnnys seed catalog too. I've had problems also with my soil. I live in spokane and just moved to a new home and the previous oweners had a garden.. Its the reason my husband and I bought the house. Here is a picture of my new home in spokane. Tell me what you think of the garden.

o

I've been using Seed Savers Exchange with great results. They do have varieties developed in Idaho or for similar climates. This summer I'm trying blacktail watermelons. I've never had good luck with melons since the nights are so cool but this variety was developed just for that.

Just my opinion but Montesano linked seeds are something that should be stayed far away from. If anyone is interested, I have lists of companies that aren't tied with Montesano.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Savers Exchange

o

what is wrong with montesano? i am not familiar with them.

o

Sorry - I meant to type Monsanto. Anyways, They develop and sell GMO (genetically modified organisms) seeds. Seeds that have live animals cells in them. These GMO plants threaten to spread by cross-pollinating and therefore contaminating our open pollinated seed just like that of rice seed that several countries won't buy from the US anymore. Monsanto scientists -- makers of dioxin, Agent Orange, genetically modified crops, round-up ready soybeans, and terminator seeds.

Not a good company IMO and threatening a lot of our heirloom varieties.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Idaho Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here