Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
impatients from seed?

Posted by timde z7NJ (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 22, 06 at 10:36

Last year I tried some impatients from seed in my growing house. I waited and waited, nothing! Can anyone tell me what I did wrong or was it just the seed! I had over 3400 plants, only a couple of varieties never bloomed! The impatients I really cared about. Anyone have any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: impatients from seed?

If you were able to grow 3400 plants successfully, I would guess that your impatiens seeds were the problem. They are really not that hard to grow. I grow them under lights every year and while some packets of seeds may not sprout as many seedlings as I thought they should, I usually have good success. After sowing the seeds and watering the container from the bottom, I cover the container with plastic wrap and put them near our woodstove until they germinate. I keep them about 4 feet from the stove so they don't cook, but the container does get warm enough to germinate the seeds. After they germinate, I move them to my stand under flourescent grow lights, and keep the light about 4" above the growing plants. You might try germinating them first before moving them to your growing house.

o

Thank You Brander, I will try again. I just found it hard to believe the whole pack of seed was bad. I will try to start them inside as well. Thanks once again.

o

• Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 7, 06 at 12:17

Bottom heat helps plus it is key, I think, to surface sow the seeds, and not cover them up with growing medium.

Joseph

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here