Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimka_gw

Source for Impatiens namchabarwensis seeds?

kimka
17 years ago

Can anyone recommend a source to buy Impatiens namchabarwensis seeds?

KimKa

Comments (19)

• brenda_near_eno
    17 years ago

Great question. I have been looking for this seed or plant for a while. A kind trader sent me the seed along with Impatiens zombensis, last year. The zombensis has sprouted, bloomed, thrived (since shared with 3 friends thru rooted cuttings), but the namchabarwensis did not germinate for me.

The latest issue of Horticulture has a full page photo of namchabarwensis in "Plants We Love" article, but no source listed. They also note hardiness as "Zone 7" - can this be true? If it is, I want it even more - anyone have info on hardiness of namchabwensis?

• MrImpatiens
    17 years ago

There are not any sources currently for Impatiens namchabarwensis seeds I dont know if there ever really will be. In the spring you might want to contact Cistus Nursery in Portland or Annies Annuals. The current info I have is that it may be perennial in warmer climates like Zone 10. Anything under this it is behaves like an annual. I had one that was surviving well under a evergreen tree until we hit 25f which is very unusal here where I live. If it survives by its root I will let you all know but it didnt last year.

• brenda_near_eno
    17 years ago

OK, I placed and order too. We've been discussing this and other unusual impatiens over on the Carolina Forum. TriangleJohn pointed out that there's some folks at a seed company in the U.K. scatching their heads, trying to figure out why suddenly a crowd from North Carolina needs these little blue flowers - hoho!

• kimka
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I got my Impatiens namchabarwensis seeds from secret seeds in the uk. Half are going to be planted under lights and half are going to be winter sown. Now to see which works better. It should be an interesting experiment.

I saw one lot of Impatiens namchabarwensis seeds on ebay. They went for an outrageous amount. I stopped watching it at $25 for, I think, five seeds. If mine do well, I will certainly harvest seed and I might even start selling on ebay at that price.

• kenandbea
    17 years ago

Shoot I too have looked for seeds or cuttings for a long time now.I just went to order some seeds and they are all sold out. Just have to keep looking:)

If anyone knows of any other sources please let me know.

Thanks

Bea

• trianglejohn
    17 years ago

Anyone know if there are any secrets to getting these guys to germinate?? I guess I was one of the last shoppers to snatch a packet from secretseeds. I've grown regular impatiens from seed before and was just wondering if there are any special needs for namchabarwensis. I normally use soil less mix, inside the house under lights and I water with rain water. I have access to a greenhouse but I won't be there everyday to water them and the staff isn't going to follow my wishes for rain water waterings.

• MrImpatiens
    17 years ago

trianglejohn
    I would start them like Impatiens balfouri seeds. I would place them in a pot and set them out side for a bit. This seems to help but do try a few in the greenhouse as well. These plants are not really tropical as the bedding types. Though something I have learned this past winter is that it may really be perennial in places that do not get frost. One should take care this plant can really sets abundant seed and should be watched so that it does not escape.

• trianglejohn
    17 years ago

I may wait for things to warm up a bit - we've been in the teens these last couple of nights! I also bought some viola species which will need the frosts so I guess I'll be setting up multiple flats (I was hoping to consolidate my workload). I'm a friend, neighbor and ex-employee of Tony Avents at Plant Delights - he said to tell you "Hi".

• loganlady
    17 years ago

I found a nursery that has the plants. I ordered a few and am waiting to hear back from them on the delivery date. Cistusnursery.com it's located in the state of Oregon.

Beca

• fernaly
    17 years ago

Do tell! Details please. Inquiring minds need to know. What size plants? How much? Minimum order, etc.

When I checked their site a few days ago, I didn't see any impatiens listed. Did you have to ask about them or am I just blind?

• MrImpatiens
    17 years ago

I just got back from Cistus. The owner is a good friend of mine. He does not have namchabarwensis list in the catalog but I can tell you he has lots of them. I spent part of the weekend potting up a bunch. He should have a near complete collection of hardy species. They are all appearing in near by pots so when they do come up they are picked out and put in a pot of their own. I think he will be sending them out in the spring after they get settled into their pots.

Tell Tony I said "Hi" back.

• loganlady
    17 years ago

Cistus Nursery does have the namchabarwensis impatient in it's mail catalog. I don't know why it can't be found in there? I bought my plants from it...and will recieve 3 plants next week. $14 each. No minimum order (I think). They didn't say how big the plants are but whatever...I am glad to get them no matter what size they are. Good Luck.

Beca

• loganlady
    17 years ago

FYI: I just recieved my three plants this morning from Cistus nursery. The plants came in 4" pots and look good and healthy. Now where to plant them in my sunroom...they are certainly not going outside-LOL.

Beca

• brenda_near_eno
    17 years ago

Total bust on my seeds from secretseeds. Tried some on damp coffee filter (one sprouted but died upon transplant), some in seed mix w/bottom heat, some in seed mix in cool greenhouse, and some outside in seed mix. Careful watch on damp but not wet - still 0% success- bummer.

• wvamartin_earthlink_net
    16 years ago

I bought three of these plants from Cistus nursery in the spring. Even though all of my "ordinary" impatiens are already producing seeds, I don't see anything that remotely resembles a seed "pod" forming on these plants. Can someone enlighten me as to their seeding habits?

• MrImpatiens
    16 years ago

I have seen bees pollinating the flowers at Cistus. The seed pods look like little cigars after the petals drop. They will explode like any other Impatiens. You can also do it by hand. Just stick your finger in a flower with the pollen cap then rub some on to your finger. Then rub the pollen on the tip where the cap has fallen off and that should work. Once bees find the flowers you should have no problems with reseeding.

• valray
    16 years ago

The magazine Fine Gardening highlights this plant this month. The article is by Derick Pitman aka Mr Impatiens (www.mrimpatiens.com).
    He says that this perennial will remain evergreen in shade in Z10 and 11. It may survive in Z9. Seed may survive in Z7. Although they may self-seed generously in the garden, "the seeds can be a little tricky to germinate in a controlled environment. It is best to start with fresh seed sown in a pot and provide them with a season of stratification (damp, dark and cool conditions)."
    He lists sources as Annies Annuals and Cistus but no seed source. I'd like some seed if anybody finds some.

• woodnative
    11 years ago

I just ran across this old post. I had trouble germinating collected seed but have seedlings coming up easily in my NJ garden. Odd. I like this plant though it is a little "wild" in appearance and not quite as blue as some of the photos.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz