Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blueflint

Impatiens seedling problem

blueflint
16 years ago

I am having a problem starting some impatiens from seed, both New Guinea Devine series and I. walleriana Carousel series.

Lets start with the New Guineas. I planted a mixture of Devine series in an 84 cell tray, surface planted on moist soiless mixture and sprayed afterwards to a fairly moist condition as per Panam Seed instructions. These were covered with plastic and put on a heat rack and adjusted to 78-80 degrees. After about 12 days the first few seedlings appeared. After I had about 12 seedlings up, I removed the plastic (but carefull to keep the other seeds moist) and put the heated flat under lights. At this point I could see several seeds emerging, root tips pushing down but no further action...they suddenly stopped. After a week of this, I decided the light was *maybe* too strong and turned it off completely. At this point I put on a clear plastic dome top to the flat and within 2 days more plants came up. Now...was the light too strong thus stopping further action from the half emerged seedlings?

On a similar situation...I planted 96 each of red, white and salmon Carousel series into a 288 flat, surface planted, misted well and covered with clear plastic. After a few days, most of the white and red were up so I removed the plastic (but kept moist) and put these under 40w fluorescent shop light, about 2-3" away from the plants. The salmon were about 2 days behind at this point, most were sending out the root tip and still bent over. After several days, the salmon plants were about the same...half way emerged...still bent over. I decided this morning to remove these from the light for a couple days to see what happens to the salmon plants...if they suddenly bounce up.

Are my lights too strong? Has the strong light stopped them in their tracks? Anyone have this before? What am I missing? Ohh, all plants that are up are dark green and look good.

Thanks,

Blueflint

Comments (4)

• homegrown1
    16 years ago

I grow Impatiens from seed every year on the coast of NC and have had great luck. Your problem will possibly present an easy fix. First, what is your growing medium? Most articles you read will encourage a seed starting medium. I believe this to be nonsense. Nature does not, in most cases, provide a seed with such a fine medium at germination. Nor does a seed starting medium contain nutrients necessary for most plant growth. Most seeds need tight soil to push off of during germination. Start the seeds in Miracle Gro Potting Mix but make sure it is moist, and compact, while seeding. Moisture is the key to a great start. I keep my impatien seedlings on the seed starting mat for only a few days after germination uncovered. Try to simulate their natural environment. Most love the shade and thrive in it, but few love sun. It is important to know the variety you are growing. If it is a variety which does not do well in full sun, which most do not, move the grow lights farther away from the seedlings. Remember to keep seedlings warm. I treat all my seedlings differently depending on variety. I think the soiless mixture is your problem. Wet down the seedlings and place them in containers with well packed Miracle Grow soil. Afterwards, cut down your lighting, as it may be dehydrating your seedlings.

• blueflint
    Original Author
    16 years ago

For a seed starting mix, I use the Miracle grow Potting Mix and this works well other than larger sticks and bark which I remove. I settle the cells in well and water in well which also setttles them in. I have 95% emergence on my I. walleriana Carousel series (salmon were running behind other colors). On the New Guineas, it is horrible so far. About 20 plants is all. There are still some with root tips pushing out but that is all. I keep soil and it's surface moist as per Panam instructions and still have things covered for high humidity. This has me a little worried. I also have many, many other seedlings in the greenhouse and they have done well...now if I can figure these NG out.

Blueflint

• tom8olvr
    16 years ago

IÂve been growing impatiens about 10 years and still consider myself a novice with starting them from seed. So, in saying that IÂve noticed a few things 1. The double impatiens (carousel is a double, I believe) have much smaller seed and in my experience I have a lot more difficulty germinating. I am not sure for the reason for this, but the doubles were the first I tried, and was heart broken when I got (not to scare you) about 20% germination. Again, this was probably over 10 years ago  things may have changed germ rates  I hope are better. I now grow the Envoy series and get between 95 and 100% germination (these are NOT doubles and have much larger seeds). 2. The moister the better  not WET but moist. I found the longer I kept the dome ON the better off I was. I use domes when I do cuttings as well  and IÂve done MUCH MUCH BETTER. 3. In my experience I have found that they like to germinate at a little bit cooler temps IÂd say closer to 68-70? I donÂt even use a mat on them anymore - ! so regular house temperature works great for them.

All this being said, this is my first year doing the new guineas  so I will be sure to pay close attention to this thread.

I donÂt have any opinions about the seed starting mixture (I have always used a germinating mix) and that certainly COULD BE what is affecting your germination rate. I donÂt knowÂ

Although, I do have an opinion about looking at where the seeds are from and under what situation/environment are/is optimal. I find that to be TOTALLY the case  and treating seeds differently based on this in my opinion an excellent practice. Nature knows best  and unless you keep this in mind germination failure is highly probable.

• indy-jim
    16 years ago

hello

I have a question. I have started some double imp they came up real well. The problem is they are really growing slow. I have never started my own. Impatients. So I was wondering is this normal. I keep them at about 70 all the time, no fertilizer except some liquid seaweed 1/3 strength. They have been up about three weeks
    Thanks in advance
    Jin

Sponsored