Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwintering Impatiens

Posted by eahamel 9a (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 7:46

Well, this board has sure died!

I have some impatiens in baskets and have been growing some cuttings, and they're doing fine and still blooming, even though it's 47 outside this morning. Our winters are off and on, and plants that tender are brought indoors when it gets too cold for them. I also have some vincas that are doing great, they're a lot more cold hardy. One of them is about 3 years old now and it's quite large.

Anyone else keeping impatiens over the winter?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwintering Impatiens

LOL it IS a shame how thoroughly this board died off. I blame it mostly on the downy mildew taking a downer on enthusiasts.

Despite the infestation of Spider Mites I had last year I still had some survivors that I brought back indoors for the winter as cuttings. Some from the Baby Mix, and the Circus Mix, and even a double impatiens. Some have started blooming for me just when I was going to start up some more cuttings of them =P at least now I'll know what kind each is.

I'm still kind of paranoid of another infestation happening again <__< cause for the life of me I can never seem to kill off those damn Spider Mites once they start ugh.

o

• Posted by susanc Z9/Sunset 17 CA (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 21:20

I got a few free 6 packs of 'Super Elfin Cherry Splash' Impatiens with CVS extra bucks last summer and fell in love with them. I took cuttings in early December and have a few jars full on a window sill. I will probably pot them up in the next week or two and kick them outside. The original plants lived through our unusual winter freeze, although they are completely defoliated.

o

• Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 17:20

My Impatiens species and common ones all croak when I bring them indoors, so I don't even bother anymore.

o

I am so very happy to have found this information. I have 7 new guinea impatiens that I brought inside last night. Our overnight temperatures are down into the low 20's. I cleaned them up, added some new potting soil and gave them all a good watering. I have them sitting in my kitchen right now, but I'm looking for the right place in the house to overwinter them. Do you think they will be okay in a 55 degree basement, with a window (for some light)? Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

o

I am so very happy to have found this information. I have 7 new guinea impatiens that I brought inside last night. Our overnight temperatures are down into the low 20's. I cleaned them up, added some new potting soil and gave them all a good watering. I have them sitting in my kitchen right now, but I'm looking for the right place in the house to overwinter them. Do you think they will be okay in a 55 degree basement, with a window (for some light)? Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here