Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eahamel

Overwintering Impatiens

eahamel
11 years ago

Well, this board has sure died!

I have some impatiens in baskets and have been growing some cuttings, and they're doing fine and still blooming, even though it's 47 outside this morning. Our winters are off and on, and plants that tender are brought indoors when it gets too cold for them. I also have some vincas that are doing great, they're a lot more cold hardy. One of them is about 3 years old now and it's quite large.

Anyone else keeping impatiens over the winter?

Comments (5)

• kihaku_gato
    11 years ago

LOL it IS a shame how thoroughly this board died off. I blame it mostly on the downy mildew taking a downer on enthusiasts.

Despite the infestation of Spider Mites I had last year I still had some survivors that I brought back indoors for the winter as cuttings. Some from the Baby Mix, and the Circus Mix, and even a double impatiens. Some have started blooming for me just when I was going to start up some more cuttings of them =P at least now I'll know what kind each is.

I'm still kind of paranoid of another infestation happening again <__ cause for the life of me i can never seem to kill off those damn spider mites once they start ugh.>

• SusanC
    11 years ago

I got a few free 6 packs of 'Super Elfin Cherry Splash' Impatiens with CVS extra bucks last summer and fell in love with them. I took cuttings in early December and have a few jars full on a window sill. I will probably pot them up in the next week or two and kick them outside. The original plants lived through our unusual winter freeze, although they are completely defoliated.

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

My Impatiens species and common ones all croak when I bring them indoors, so I don't even bother anymore.

• chiodokeller
    10 years ago

I am so very happy to have found this information. I have 7 new guinea impatiens that I brought inside last night. Our overnight temperatures are down into the low 20's. I cleaned them up, added some new potting soil and gave them all a good watering. I have them sitting in my kitchen right now, but I'm looking for the right place in the house to overwinter them. Do you think they will be okay in a 55 degree basement, with a window (for some light)? Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• chiodokeller
    10 years ago

I am so very happy to have found this information. I have 7 new guinea impatiens that I brought inside last night. Our overnight temperatures are down into the low 20's. I cleaned them up, added some new potting soil and gave them all a good watering. I have them sitting in my kitchen right now, but I'm looking for the right place in the house to overwinter them. Do you think they will be okay in a 55 degree basement, with a window (for some light)? Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored