Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
start date for hybrid impatiens

Posted by denidill 3a Alberta (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 7, 04 at 13:46

Hi All,
I grew the Busy Lizzie impatiens last year on March 13th as my start date and all went well. This year, I have a hybrid called Accent Sunrise Mix that says to start Jan 25th-Mar 15th. I was wondering about the different start dates, since if Busy Lizzie would have grown out of her pots if I started in Jan.

I was going to try a start date of Feb 28th with the Accent impatiens. How does this sound? I am putting them out in a cold frame for a couple weeks, prior to planting them in the garden May 22nd. (A little early in my zone, but I cover them with sheets, etc to protect against any frost.)

Denise ,
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: start date for hybrid impatiens

Sounds like a good start date to me. You do get pretty cold up there. I have seedlings popping up everywhere right now. Sunrise mix is a very nice choice very pretty flowers.

o

I sow Impatiens in January since I find they need extra time both to germinate and grow to bedding size. Others plant as little as 8 weeks before last frost. I think warm growing conditions and better light (possibly more fertiliser) accounts for the difference in growing speed. Mine are grown in natural light and quite cool conditions.

o

It depends on your indoors growing temperature.

If you have a fairly warm basement (basically do not fall below 60 deg F), 8 weeks prior to planting out for accent impatiens are more than enough time. When greenhouse sown where night temperatures can go into the 50's and even 40's then a longer period would be warranted.

In any event, unless you have really cool night temperatures, then I recommend waiting until maximum 10 weeks before planting out. If this date is june 1st in your area (or even june 15th ?) then starting by march 15th would create a monster of a plant unless you can transplant to 6" pots ??

I.e. if you grow your impatiens relatively warm (above 60 deg F night temperatures) no more than 8-10 weeks MAX. If you grow your impatiens cooler then a few more weeks, but do not start them in january. These dates given on the packages are general information to cover multiple zones...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here