Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mvericsson

Impatiens Identification

mvericsson
20 years ago

Could anyone help me to identify an unknown Impatiens? I have posted a pic in the gallery, I have no experience with these plants, any help would be very greatly appreciated!

Marie

Comments (5)

• MrImpatiens
    20 years ago

Marie
    What color are the flowers? Do the leaves come in whrols or are they alternating? It looks like it could be Impatiens sodenii. Check the gallery Callalady post a pic of I. ugenensis which by some are the same species.

• calla_lady
    20 years ago

Marie didn't you say that the flowers are hot pink and maybe 2 -2 1/2" in the other forum?

• mvericsson
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Yes, the flowers are hot pink, but they are only 3/4'' in diameter, they are on 2-2 1/2'' receptacles however. There are four petals on the flowers, with one "spur". The leaves occur in an alternating pattern, though they have always been very thick at the ends of the mostly bare stems, where the flowers are produced. The stems are succulent and very green, except at nodes of leaves it is reddish.

It is hard for me to identify any similarities between my plant and the I. urgenensis in the gallery, I would really have to see the leaves and growth pattern to be sure. I have done multiple image searches on google etc., but I have found no blatant matches with my plant. Thank you so much for both of your help, though, I really appreciate it.

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    20 years ago

Marie's plant:

Here is a link that might be useful:

• MrImpatiens
    20 years ago

Marie
    I looked at the pic a little closer its not Impatiens ugenensis but maybe a wild collected walleriana. If the flowers are flat than most likely that is what it is. I have a few wild ones and one is very large about 3ft. and the stems look somewhat like yours. Even the wild ones grow pretty tall I have one that is about 2ft. When they are happy the leaves get very long almost 7 inches and the flowers are always smaller then they hybrids.
    Derick

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!