Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Impatiens Identification

Posted by mvericsson ME (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 25, 04 at 16:44

Could anyone help me to identify an unknown Impatiens? I have posted a pic in the gallery, I have no experience with these plants, any help would be very greatly appreciated!

Marie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Impatiens Identification

Marie
What color are the flowers? Do the leaves come in whrols or are they alternating? It looks like it could be Impatiens sodenii. Check the gallery Callalady post a pic of I. ugenensis which by some are the same species.

o

Marie didn't you say that the flowers are hot pink and maybe 2 -2 1/2" in the other forum?

o

Yes, the flowers are hot pink, but they are only 3/4'' in diameter, they are on 2-2 1/2'' receptacles however. There are four petals on the flowers, with one "spur". The leaves occur in an alternating pattern, though they have always been very thick at the ends of the mostly bare stems, where the flowers are produced. The stems are succulent and very green, except at nodes of leaves it is reddish.

It is hard for me to identify any similarities between my plant and the I. urgenensis in the gallery, I would really have to see the leaves and growth pattern to be sure. I have done multiple image searches on google etc., but I have found no blatant matches with my plant. Thank you so much for both of your help, though, I really appreciate it.

o

Marie's plant:

Here is a link that might be useful: Marie's plant

o

Marie
I looked at the pic a little closer its not Impatiens ugenensis but maybe a wild collected walleriana. If the flowers are flat than most likely that is what it is. I have a few wild ones and one is very large about 3ft. and the stems look somewhat like yours. Even the wild ones grow pretty tall I have one that is about 2ft. When they are happy the leaves get very long almost 7 inches and the flowers are always smaller then they hybrids.
Derick

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here