Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terry_crawford6650656

Ordering from Burpees

Terry Crawford
16 years ago

I received the new Burpees catalog today and was wondering if anyone has ever ordered impatiens plants from them. I was interested in ordering Wild Thing and maybe some Salsa Dancers and Summer Romance Mix ...about enough to make up 4 flats worth....but before I did was wondering how big the plants are. The price is 1 pack (12 plants) for $20.95.

I usually just pick up 4 flats at a local plant farm, but they don't always have the best selections.

The prices are high, and it would cost me more, so I'm wondering if the Burpees plants would be worth it. Are the plant sizes tiny and is the quality good? Shipping is also a consideration, and sometimes impatiens don't ship well.

Any advice? Thanks

-t

Comments (9)

• tom8olvr
    16 years ago

I haven't found Burpees selection all that great - nurseries are now carrying a lot of different varieties and colors of impatiens. PERSONALLY? I'd forgo Burpee and wait and get it in one of the nurseries... I'd also recommend going to the nurseries early to get the best selection...

• boxcar_grower
    16 years ago

I agree. Ordering annuals main order is a sketchy proposition. You have do idea what condition that they will arrive in. And they certainly not cheap. $21 plus shipping for 12 plants is rediculous. A flat at the greenhouse is about $12. The flats around here are 18 plants.

Go to your local greenhouse and buy what you want.

Growing impatiens from seed is super easy. Give it a try and you will be happy.

• tom8olvr
    16 years ago

Yah, zone 5, you still have plenty time. I'd recommend Stokes or Hazzard seeds (both on line - stokeseeds.com and Hazzardgreenhouse.com - or something like that) and in each they have an enourmous selection of impatiens... different heights, bloom sizes, colors, etc.

Good luck!

• MrImpatiens
    16 years ago

I ordered the seashells series from them a long time ago and half the order was smashed. I would not recommend them.
    Derick

• tom8olvr
    16 years ago

Stokes or Hazzard seed were smashed? I've just been hooked up with Hazzard (everything came fine) and Stokes (I've ordered from for a million years) has replaced anything and everything no questions asked... so I'm curious was it stokes or Hazzard? I'd be VERY surprised at stokes - and if it did come smashed, I really think they'd replace it.

• MrImpatiens
    16 years ago

Sorry I meant to say Burpee sent these plants and I paid good money for them as well.

• barsac
    16 years ago

I've ordered plants several times from Burpee's. Just ones that I can't find in the local nurseries because they are a bit expensive with shipping charges. I've actually had very good luck with my orders. They've been very nicely packed, any problems, they took care of. And, the plants flourished well once I planted them, nice root systems. I order seeds frequently from Burpee's and have good germination rates with them compared to other catalogs.

• Allison Proctor
    16 years ago

Do yourself a favor and DO NOT order from burpees. I guess seeds are ok, but definitely not plants. I just recieved an order of 3 trees. They were just tossed into the equivalent of a garbage bag and shipped to me. Unbelieveable! 2 were moldy and one was broken. I would not expect they would ship impatiens anymore carefully.

• bucksmba
    15 years ago

lalameija,
    What trees did you order? I've not seen were Burpee is selling trees - there are no trees in their catalog or on-line.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022