Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dormant or dead?

Posted by pfinger1 SOCAL (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 26, 04 at 21:46

I have a bunch of impatiens that were planted in august, 2003...until about a month ago they have bloomed most of the time and looked great...suddenly they are just like leafless/flowerless plantings...how can i tell if they're dead or will come back? They have really looked nice up until january.....I'm in southern california...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dormant or dead?

Pfinger1
Hold on to them a bit longer they may sprout back from the nodes. If not they will make great compost for the spring. You are much warmer than I am a here and they sometimes over winter in my garden. Some times weather change will cause them to drop leaves they may come back better than ever.

o

Thanks....so there's really no way to tell if they are dead until the spring? No miracle gro or tests?

o

Pfinger1
Look real close at the nodes you may see the starts of new leaves. Also check near the base for the same thing. I have some of my plants outside now and they are getting lots of grow buds. Many of my winter hardy perennials are coming up and the annuals are all over the place. For you most Impatiens should be hardy IF you live in a Zone 10 that is.

o

Dead impatiens look dead, LOL, just kidding, they turn brown, gummy and wrinkled, if they dont look like that then theyre dormant, what brings another subject, I find very difficult to understand why you say theyre dormant, I live in a colder area than you and mine are blooming, of course I gave them a much needed haircut in January, theyre not blooming like crazy, but anyway theyre blooming.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here