Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jewelweed

Posted by CCChad NSW Aust (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 17, 04 at 0:08

Can jewelweed be grown and cared for in the same way as impatiens?
I know they come from the same family,but I don't understand about jewelweed and balsam. What's the difference between these ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jewelweed

Jewelweed, Balsam and Wallerana are all of the same Balsaminaceae family, and thus closely related, but they are quite different, too.

Wallerana are the typical low growing, shade loving, bedding plants you buy at garden centers. Balsam are bigger plants but looks similar to Wallerana, except the flowers look a bit different.

Now, Jewelweed looks significantly different from the other two. You may want to take a look at the below link.

I have never grown Jewelweed, so I can't tell you if their habits are the same.

Don't get confused about the use of the common names, however. I have seen Impatiens Wallerana sold as Balsam and Jewelweed, and while this is not correct to call the garden impatiens (Wallerana) for Balsam or Jewelweed that does not stop garden centers, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: jewelweed

o

Where I am in zone 6 NY, Jewelweed grows wild up to 3'-4' in height and is VERY invasive.

I would check ivasive plants for your area before planting outdoors in a garden. The flowers throw seeds quite a distance. You may be lucky in your area though.

JoyW

o

Jewelweed is a native plant, and is VERY attractive to hummingbirds. It prefers moisture and light shade (especially in the afternoon), and yes, it will self sow, but it's very easy to pull out. The best way to get it is to collect seed in the fall (the seedpods 'explode' when you touch it, thus the common name 'Touch Me Not'). It's juice is also a tonic for poison ivy. When water is on the leaves, it sparkles like a jewel, thus the more common common name, Jewelweed. I wish I could have a jewelweed lawn! :)

o

I may well live to regret this, but Ive wintersowed some jewelweed and hope to be able to tuck it into a back part of my front yard. This back part is currently nothing but ivy and some weedy unblooming shrubs. Its off on the long leg of an L from the rest of the garden and its in only slightly dappled shade. This area may not be as moist or sunny or cool as jewelweed likes, which Im thinking might be a good thing. Either the jewelweed will not live at all or if it does, it will not bloom and so it will die off, but if it both lives and blooms, it may do them in a more modest fashion than its usual wont.

I love it. It grows wild all over New England and its bright orangy flowers and good height make it a beautiful (to my eyes) plant.

Springcherry

o

I have never been successful at transplanting jewelweed seedlings, but when tossing the seed where I want it to grow, it sure does grow (and spread). I would toss the wintersown seeds, medium and all, into a corner where you want it to grow.

o

I was told it was okay to dig a plant up in the wild because it reseeds so easily. I dug a plant up near my house by a creek (I would never do that with any other wildflower) Anyway I see sprouts in a few places in my garden two in the shade and three in the sun The ones in the shade are near some native azaleas Don't they need a more alkaline soil?Should I put bonemeal in their soil? Thanks for any help in advance. Sarah

o

Sorry Guys - I can't help laughing! I live in NW Pa, 1/2 hr. South of Erie. Here Jewel Weed is the bane of my gardening! Not only do the seeds fly everywhere- the birds carry it hither and yon! One single wild plant can manage to invade every nook in a two acre spot in one wet year! Yes it pulls out easily - but I spent an hour yesterday trying to get it out of some sedium and hosta (where it had all been removed twice already this season) and didn't make a dent - and this is in a spot about 3 ft long and 1 ft wide! It grows in the sun, in gravel, in the shade, in the woods - so far it is staying out of my fertile beds! There is no way to contain it that I know of! I wish you could take all of mine. I have a raised deck, which is dark and moist under it, solid carpet of jewel weed- if it stayed there it would be no problem- but it won't!

o

Judy, I wish I had some of yours. I have tried to grow jewelweed from seed and can't it to germinate anywhere. I have tried wintersowing it, throwing it in a flower bed and starting it in seed starting mix and it just won't sprout. I am beginning to think I have some bad seeds.

o

I have all three varieties of impatiens in my flower beds. The bedding impatiens I buy in the spring as I have never had good luck growing them from seed and I usually just put a few in hanging baskets. The Balsam I either winter sow or sow the seeds in the spring in an area that is part sun/shade and moist soil. The transplant very easily and grow 3-4 ft and bloom until the frost kills them here in western NY. WIld jewelweed must be sown right after the seeds are collected in the fall and left to overwinter or they will not germinate. Seedlings do not transplant well unless you do it before they get their first set of true leaves. They need to be grown in shade and moist soil or if in part sun they need lots and lots of moisture. They don't need any special fertilizer. I grow mine where my DH used to throw all the weeds that he pulled. I cleaned it all up and through the seeds out and voila tons of plants in the spring. They reseed very easily because the minute a ripe pod is touched the pod explodes and the seeds scatter. This is not a plant for a formal garden but it is great for the cottage garden. The roots are more to the surface than growing deep so unwanted stragglers are easily removed. Below are pictures of both balsam and a picture I just took of my jewelweed which is not yet blooming. THe leaves on the Garden Balsam are more elongated and swordlike while the leaves of the wild jewelweed really are more like the bedding plant impatiens.

I have a huge old maple tree in my back yard so it makes a very nice shaded area for jewelweed, hostas, bleeding hearts and lily of the valley. The Garden Balsam can take more sun than jewelweed.

Garden Balsam (summer/2003) 3-4 ft. tall

Wild Jewelweed (June 2004) already 3ft.tall

Penny

o

thanks Penny.

o

Jewelweed is the most pervasive and noxious weed in my garden. I literally have thousands and cannot get rid of them by any means. They are one of the most common wildflowers in New England but enough is enough! Their root systems are only an inch or two deep so they seed in the crowns of every perennial. I clear my beds and borders and turn around and there are hundreds more. Their only good point is that they pull out very easily. I really loathe them. I border wetlands where they grow joyfully so I will never be rid of them. It is ironic that I have so often read that a plant I struggle to grow is a weed problem for someone else. Now it is my turn. The grass is always greener....

o

A minority report. I purposely grow as many species impatiens as I can, none of which are the low annual bedding plants found at garden centers. I love my swamp full of hanging jewels which seem to levitate among the chrysalis green foliage. My children love to pop the seed pods. Yes they seed everywhere, but the roots are 1" deep and they are easy to pull and contain. I've got seven species growing now. Looking for more!

o

• Posted by Enid NWFl (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 27, 04 at 7:45

I AM CAPTIVATED BY THIS DISCUSSION. wHERE CAN i GET JEWELWEED SEED? My yard is aready a "weedy" mess because the tredescantia (sp?) went wild. I swear the more I mow it over the more it spreads. Any pointers at to were to get it? Email me at Gwydryn@aol.com if you can point me in the rght drection. TIA
Enid

o

I have jewelweed growing on the sides of my property. Some are orange and some are yellow. Even though it's invasive, it's also very pretty in the wild. I'll try to save some seeds for anyone wanting any this fall. I just have to try to stop my 5 year old granddaughter from popping them.
Linda

o

impatient glandulifera

Here is a link that might be useful: my garden

o

HI ALL...i am looking for seeds to grow the Glandulifera plant, orange and yellow. AKA jewelweed plant. Does anyone have seeds they can mail me, i will be glad to pay your postage. Also any help you can give me to get the seeds to grow as it sounds like they can be hard to start.
THANK YOU
please e-mail me direct at
leewalt@powerbank.net

o

Ernie--You emailed me and I am responding here. I do not collect seeds of this plant. As I posted above, it is a terrible weed where I live and collecting its seeds is the last thing on earth I would want to do! I only wish I could eradicate it.

It grows here in moist, fertile, very acid soil and takes a lot of shade. It does not like dry soil, or hot, dry conditions. I think you might want to check the botanical name. I am not at all sure that it is Impatiens glandulifera but as I am busy putting up Christmas decorations, I can't go check--maybe later. I wish you good luck in finding seeds.

o

In the Catskills jewelweed is everywhere. Very invasive in my garden, I use it in my compost. I'd suggest getting seeds of Balsam from seedsofchange.com
I grew it easily from seed last year and the plants were magnificent -- to me they are showy and outstanding, but some people may like the laid back look of jewelweed. Balsam stands about 18' high with lime colored leaves. Each plant flowered in a different color -- white, pink, magenta, purple and they smelled heavenly. Also the bugs that devour my garden each year stayed away from them. I've put a link up to my garden and titled the images that have balsam in them. They are the 2nd page in my gallery. Does anyone know if the seeds of Balsam will self sow easily? I am assuming they will, but I want them coming back!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.pbase.com/frogalley/garden&page=1

o

DOes anyone know where to get the Impatiens capensis seeds?? They are supposed to be the best in Poison Ivy treatments, which is why I want them becasue me and my grandmother are bothe VERY allergic to poison Ivy!

Thanks!!
--Zakk

o

does jewelweed grown in zone 9? and if it does do any of you have any seeds you could share with me if i send you a SASE?

o

I tried growing jewelweed for the first time this year with great success. I dug some up from my wife's school that was growing in the path of a wooded trail and would have Shorely been trampled by students. It is not my habit to dig up wild plants under any circumstances but given the location of the plants and the fact that they were so numerous I thought I could make an exception in this case.

They were very easy to transplant and as long as I gave them plenty of water they bloomed very nicely. They loved the shade with Morning sun. The hummingbirds absolutely love them. Again, like previous posters have mentioned jewelweed is a native plant thus not technically an invasive one. But it does self sow readily... though I consider that a bonus. Native plants are the best for local wildlife and are always welcome in my yard.

o

A jewelweed update--It turns out deer love it. The only good thing about the herd of deer decimating my garden these last years has been that they have almost--almost--eliminated my jewelweed problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here