Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vundril

flowers in the waterfall

vundril
20 years ago

I am wondering about planting impatiens in waterfall of my pond. I have seen old threads in pond forum where people claim they grow well tucked bare rooted in rocks in contact with moving water. That doesn't jive with what I read here regarding wet feet. Anybody have experience with this and suggestion for variety that might like this arrangement?

Comments (5)

• MrImpatiens
    20 years ago

Vundril
    I have seen pictures of Impatiens by a waterfall or near the pond but not in the pond its self. There are some species that may grow that way though. Impatiens capensis should it likes boggy sites and will grow pretty big. Impatiens irvingii (check Kartuz greehouses) should as well it can be found growing in water naturally in the wild it looks a lot like a fuzzy walleriana type. If you want to grow something that no one here has Hydrocera is the perfect bog plant. This is the only other species in the Impatiens family and can be a weed in rice fields in tropical Asia. It will only grow in the water and spreads by runners. Maybe Impatiens hongkongensis this one is very rare in the US it seems to love cool summer areas like the San Francisco bay area but it just sits there for me during the summer and has yet to flower.

• vundril
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks for the great info Mr.Imp. I'm on the hunt for the species you mentioned.

• Patrick888
    20 years ago

well...a waterfall of a different sorts, but last Oct. I visited the Lyon Arboretum in the hills above Honolulu. There was a nearly-dry waterfall (until the next rain) with a height of approx. 30 feet. There were impatiens all up and down the vertical hillside immediately adjacent to the waterfall, as well as around the pool at its base. They were not growing IN the water and were not bare-root in rocks, etc. But they do seem to like the moist, shady environment there.

Patrick

• Janis_G
    20 years ago

I haven't been on this forum before but I have grown
    a gazillion impatiens in the past 30 years.
    Last year I tried an experiment with growing them bare root in my pond.
    I planted them in the rocks in a shallow place next
    to a beautiful moss covered mountain stone I had placed in the pond.
    They did great and brought some much needed color to my pond.
    So yes, they can and will grow in water bare roots
    in the rocks.
    I have a picture of them.

Jan

• joy4me
    20 years ago

Well, They grow in water for awhile, and cuttings root in water too. They can't grow indefinitely because the bacteria causes the roots and stems to rot. So, I imagine, with fresh and airated water available at all times they would do just fine. Though I would think the force of the water fall would have to be figured into the equation. I'm sure they would be beautiful.

JoyW

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath