Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Impatiens for Georgia Sun...????

Posted by moochie22 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 2, 05 at 11:38

Question. Know full well that impatiens are best in shade or partial shade. Having said that, do any of you know of any varieties that DO work well in sun, or almost full sun? Or have any of you had any success here in the sweltering southeast??

Thanks in advance..

Mooch

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Impatiens for Georgia Sun...????

Mooch
I live in the California Valley here temps here get into the 100s a lot. I have seen them getting some morning sun till almost the afternoon. But I dont know which kinds they are. I dont think they would like to have full sun all day as a species they prefer shade even the grassland African species will die down to the roots in the hot dry season.

o

• Posted by Enid NWFl (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 10, 05 at 3:30

Last year I dropped some bug infested cutting by a drippy outside faucet in full sun and they thrived, looked better than the pampered ones in the pot. They were the common cheap walleriana. My suggestion, as long as they are well watered they will thrive, this guys had constant wet feet and bloomed prodigiusly.

o

I believe I read where impatiens 'Tango' does very well in sun. It produces green foliage with an orange flower. I am planning on purchasing a cordyline plant for the center of a large container and adding impatiens 'Tango' along with plants with some blue in them.

If anyone knows anything different about 'Tango', I would appreciate your comments.

Thanks,
Randy

o

Impatiens Tango is a hawkeri X platypetala hybrid. It all depends on where you live. All Impatiens do better in shade with filtered light. NGHIs prefer morning sun but not hot sun this will kill them or they wont be at their best.

o

I am by no means an impatiens expert but mine are in full sun from approximately 8:00 a.m. until about 1:00 p.m. I plant the Walmart variety (grin) and the "volunteer" variety. Mine have been gorgeous the past two years. My success (I think) is I mulch around the base of the plants and they get watered every other day via the sprinkler system.

Mimi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here