Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roots of flower

Posted by pfinger1 SOCAL (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 11, 04 at 13:02

I have a garden bed which is covered with huge tree roots. I can't really dig too deep and was wondering if I get a few bags of good quality planting soil and build a few mounds will that be good enough for impatiens? Is there any way I can get them too survive well in conditions like this? The roots don't go deep, right? How high of a mound would I need to build to get them to last?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roots of flower

That sounds like an excellent idea,because the trees above will provide shade that impatiens love.
In my experience I've noticed that impatiens have a shallow root system,and they tend to go sideways rathar than down, so you wouldn't need to mound it up very high.
Good Luck

o

It really looks nice to have flowers around tree bases. I would use rocks, bricks or the like to keep the soil from washing away, it dosen't have to be too deep for most shallow annuals. Say 8 to 12 inches. Good luck!

o

Impatiens need plenty of water. Mounds of soil dry out quickly and tree roots quickly remove water in summer, plus any rain will not make it under the canopy. Make sure you provide plenty of extra water and you should get a nice display.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here