Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Impatiens in summer heat in Savannah 8b

Posted by casey8b_savannah (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 22, 07 at 15:05

I'm new to gardening here in Savannah,GA., altho I have gardened alot in SE Florida before we moved up here. We're inland, not near the water (Georgetown area).
I have a huge shade garden (early morning sun only)to put in and have started getting my plants (Autumn Fern, Cinnimon Fern, Hostas, Hydrangeas, Sweet Potato Vine and Loropetum (sp?)so far).

But am not too sure of the advice I got regarding Impatiens. Back in Florida they grow beautifully during the winter months but can't take the heat of summer, but it seems just as hot here tho. I was told they will thrive here throughout the hot summer months and bloom into December. This was from the 'master gardener' at the HD garden center.

I'd *love* to put in tons of them if they really will do well here! So...was that good or bad advice?? (Also welcome any suggestions for any other plants that I should put in!!)
Casey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Impatiens in summer heat in Savannah 8b

I'm right outside of Savannah. My impatiens bloomed like crazy from April 'til frost last year. They were in full shade, though, and got lots of water. They'll drink a lot in our summer heat. Welcome to the neighborhood! :)

o
RE: Impatiens in summer heat in Savannah 8b

Thanks leylowe! I'm planting today, have 2 flats of impatiens going in ( :
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here