Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
liquiid seaweed

Posted by swcurry z7 TX (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 24, 04 at 16:06

Hi,
I planted my impatients today. I have read about and bought some liquid seaweed, I bought it to add to my potting mix for seeds. Does anyone know if it would wise to fertilize impatients with it.
Thanks,
Sonya

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: liquiid seaweed

Liquid seaweed is normally an additive (e.g. micro nutrients) as opposed to a fertilizer (macro nutrients). It is often used as a supplement to a regular fertilizer program.. not instead of..

A liquid seaweed fertilizer often contain iron, manganese, etc e.g/ a lot of the micronutrients which the main fertilizers may lack.

I don't know which product you bought and if any nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium is included ?
Does it have a NPK rating ??

Impatiens are very light feeders e.g. they should not be given much nitrogen, and feeding with a high nitrogen fertilizer will result in tall, lush plants but with few flowers.

Fish fertilizers (Fish Emulsion) usually comes in ratios such as 5-1-1 NPK e.g. a lot of nitrogen compared to phosphorus/potassium.

If what you have is the seaweed additive (e.g. supplies micro nutrients, but not N-P-K) then it is ok to use in addition to your usual fertilizer (not instead of). If the product you bought has high nitrogen compared to phosphorus/potassium (e.g. such as 5-1-1) then don't use it. YOu will end up with no flowers.

I use Mor-Bloom from Alaska (fish based) to fertilize impatiens. It provides no nitrogen but plenty of phosphorus and potassium. I alternate it with a regular 20-20-20 synthetic fertilizer which I apply very very sparingly and extremely diluted. In this way you get many more blooms.

Here is a link that might be useful: mor-bloom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here