Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
propagating fusion impatiens

Posted by cindip z7 NC (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 28, 05 at 16:20

I just purchased a few Fusion Impatiens. I read where Mr. Impatiens said they do not produce seeds. I guess that means the only way to propagate is to take cuttings? I was hoping to overwinter them at the end of this year.
thanks for any info you can give me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: propagating fusion impatiens

They should be no different from any other Impatiens in keeping over winter. Just take cuttings like you would the regular bedding type. There not really any different in that since.

o

I know this is a stupid question, but anyway, would these impatiens or any impatiens be ok if I brought them in over the winter and kept the whole plant in an unheated/glassed in back porch? I did overwinter the Impatiens Arguta that way and it looks great now. Would it work for other impatiens?

o

It depends on the species. Impatins arguta is a very hardy Imp. Fusion is a lot more tender one of its parents is auricoma which doesnt like cold temps. Maybe if you kept it close to the house where the heat would keep it warm, that may help.

o

Thanks Mr Impatiens. I knew you would have my answer.

o

But to be on the safe side, do take cuttings.

o

How can a person tell if a certain Impatiens is more hardy than others? I ordered a couple last year from Kartuz and I don't think they all made it. I ordered a couple different ones this year. Is there a way to know which ones are hardier?

o

Most are not hardy. Kartuz only has one hardy one and that is arguta the rest of his are all tender. Most Impatiens come from cool tropical forests where they enjoy cool summers and warm winters. Most hardies seem to be coming from Asia but Africa has a few. A good rule of thumb for me is if it has a tuber it will have some degree of hardiness.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here