Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boxcar_grower

Wallerana Impatiens

boxcar_grower
16 years ago

So I decided to try wallerane impatiens this year. I looked online to find to see if the culture was any different that other bedding types. There seemed to be amany views of starting them 10-12 weeks before FFD. So I did......what the heck! I have plants that are 4" tall and full of buds. It is only March 22nd. I have two months to go. I cant believe how these things grew in one month.

[IMG]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee209/1974boxcar/100_0262.jpg[/IMG]

Comments (9)

• boxcar_grower
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here is the HTML code so you don't have to copy and paste.

• tom8olvr
    16 years ago

BoxCar -

Them are beautiful! What temperature are you growing them in? Where do you have them - underlights/greenhouse/window??

• boxcar_grower
    Original Author
    16 years ago

They are growing inside about 70-75 degrees under full spectrum natural sunshine bulbs. I have 9 flats grwong inside. If you look hard enough in the pic you can see the buds.

I also have new guinea's growing also that are budding.

The fort I have been using is peters blossom booster 10-30-20. It has made a big difference is the size the plants start to bud.

• tom8olvr
    16 years ago

do you know what variety your growning?

I grow the larger flowered imps - blitz, infinity, encore/envoy, tempo so they NEVER look that bushy and compact - so I'm completely JEALOUS! Mine will start blooming but not til I'm ready to get them outside... THose look great, BoxCar! Oh, I also don't fertilize them... so may be I should start!

Now, on to the new guineas - you HAVE to send me pictures! I have mine growing now in a window - please post some pictures and tell me when/where/how you started them. This is my first year with them and although I think I'm doing fine, they don't have buds! :)

Keep me posted!

• boxcar_grower
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The Impatens are Peach Butterfly and a Mosaic Mix. I fertilize all my seed grown annuals every time I water with 1/4 rate. I bottom water all my plants.

The New Guinea's are a Mix I got from Burpee's. I surface sow them in tray and put them in a clear plastic bag and set them on my thermostat controlled heat mat. The germinate in about 7-10 days. Transplanted into the 2" pots. I have been growing them on the dry side and fertilizing every week with 1/4 rate fert.

I have Angel Wing begonias too! This was my first year with them. Other than the seed was finer than dust, they have been doing great. I can post pics of those too. I do have some in the begonia forum.

I live is Massachusetts too! Where abouts are ya?

• tom8olvr
    16 years ago

BoxCar,

Peach butterfly??? Tempo, Encore, accent? What variety? Do you know? I have a friend that did peach butterfly encore last year - and he had a bad germ rate and they never looked really great (he grows the encore blue, encore white, encore orange, tropical butterfly encore (pink), and the peach - he cut the peach out this year because the germ was so bad... but yours look FANTASTIC!! Those look full and bushy - just beautiful!!

I'm so completely and utterly jealous of your new guineas! They look gorgeous! I better start on a fertilizing program! WOW!

I have a post in the Begonia forum too - my 'progress' I'll keep an eye open for you boxcar!

e mail me: abby.baker@state.ma.us - we'll chat.

• boxcar_grower
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here is a link to the impatiens walleriana peach butter fly and mosaic mix.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mosaic mix

• boxcar_grower
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Peach butterfly link

Here is a link that might be useful: Peach butterfly

• tom8olvr
    16 years ago

the peach you are growing are the envoys - they grow taller - 20 some odd inches and have large blooms. In fact the picture they have is the same picture as stokes! Huh. interesting. Your plants are beautiful!! I'm Jeal-lous!

THis weekend I started some other seed and fertilized my imps - I know they aren't getting enough sun/light. But I really can't do much about it now... I'll just keep trucking along! :)