Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pinching

Posted by jree z6 TN (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 8, 04 at 23:12

my impatiens have gotten sort of tall. they look healthy and have about 8 to 10 nice leaves on them. is it ok to pinch them back? this is my first year with these.

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pinching

sure, they can be pinched no problem. If you want more stick the "pinchings" in moist potting soil.

o

Absolutely. Pinching impatiens actually results in many more flowers. Pinch them back to 2-4 leaves. When the new growing points are out you can pinch these back again if you like. Count on stopping the pinching 3-4 weeks before flowering is desired.

As mentioned above, you can root impatiens from cuttings (pinchings) very easily. Simply place them along the rim of a flower pot in well draining potting soil. Enclose the pot in a plastic bag and place in a warm place in indirect light (or near fluorescent light source). Check daily and mist the foliage. in a week to 10 days they will root. You can also root them in water in a vase, but change the water daily. Once roots form, repot in small pots.

Pinch cuttings back as soon as they have rooted well into their pots. Count on flowering 4-5 weeks from making the cuttings.

o

• Posted by jree z6 TN (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 9, 04 at 19:55

thanks for the replies, i thought you could pinch but i didn't know the cuttings would root that way. thanks for the info.

o

You can give them not a pinching, a haircut would be more appropiate, you can cut them down to a third of their size, at least thats what I do every year, cuttings root very easily.

o

Pinching also strenghtens the roots so the plants energy goes into growing and branching rather than flowers. So, when they have enough branches and are a nice size, you can stop pinching and they will flower.

Afer the flower fades, pinch off the faded flowers to
encourage more flowering. This also keeps the plant from setting seed as you don't want it to do that until season's end.

Hope this helps.

JoyW

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here