Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holly_c

I. hyans & niamniamensis 'African Queen'

holly_c
18 years ago

I have ordered Impatiens hyans and Impatiens niamniamensis 'African Queen Variegated'. I have never grown these. Can't even begin to pronounce the latter. Any expert advice out there? Heat? Humidity? Water? Potting medium?

Comments (4)

• MrImpatiens
    18 years ago

Those should be good choices for your area. Neither is hardy enough to be grown outside all year long. Impatiens hians makes a good hanging basket plant or a good ground cover on a greenhouse floor. Its blooming time is winter to early spring. So right now it is at its peak. Impatiens niamniamensis varigate can be a little tricky sometimes to where it will drop almost all its leaves. In fact all of them do this for some reason I havent figured out this one just does it more. It can be in bloom all the time but who cares with those pretty leaves.
    Give them a good potting mix, I like Kellogs Patio Plus. Give them shade to morning sun. They survive my heat here in the Sacramento Valley where it is dry and hot but you are humid and hot. So you will have to tell us how well they do. Both are knew to cultivation. I introduced hians a few years back though Kartuz's Greenhouse and Annies Annuals technically I didn't introduce the variegated Queen but the west coast material is from me. Glasshouse Works has it but theirs looks real bad and not healthy. You should also try arguta that one love heat at least till it gets into the 100s then it just sits there like the rest.

• holly_c
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you so much. I will keep you posted on their progress once they arrive. I ordered from Kartuz who I absolutely love because their plants are always so healthy and seem less fragile. And...you hit the nail on the head...HOT and HUMID! I am not a native to this area and I was surprised to find out how many things just cannot survive this climate. I'm currently sprouting seeds in the refrigerator to try and convince them that they are living somewhere else!

• garyfla_gw
    18 years ago

Hi
    these might be good varieties for me as I live in S. Florida. We are even hotter and more humid than N.Orleans lol I grow N.Guinea and Walleriana but only in the winter.
    They've already given up tis year lol
    gary

• holly_c
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, they're here and like all plants that I've ordered from Kartuz, they're in great shape. I've given them a resting period and I potted up the hyans today. The niamniamensis I think is going to need at least a gallon size container. From what I've read, they grow fairly large??

Sponsored