Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should they be pinched back?

Posted by mike48858 z5 MI (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 11, 06 at 0:04

Hi all.

I am growing Impatiens for the first time this spring. Most of the plants seem to be doing well, with a few runts in the bunch. They seem to be growing upright, and I want them to be more sprawling when I set them out in pots. Last frost date around here is about May 20th. Should I pinch them back somewhere along the main stem? If so, where should this be done? Check out the pics below.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Also, some of the plants seem to be "top-heavy" with the stem not being sturdy enough, and the plants kind of flop around. I've added more potting soil around the stem trying to give them more support. Any suggestions?

Thank you for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should they be pinched back?

How lovely! They look like cuttings. I grow some impatiens from seeds this year. I have the pricy mixed-color double Carousel. It seems to me that they grow slower and weaker. However, they branch themselves without my pinching. At this time, each plant have 2 pairs of true leaves.

o

First of all, your impatiens look wonderful! If you decide to pinch them back, check out the plant propagation forum and search for "Pinching & Poking Annuals" by paulinep. She has a useful link on How to Propagate Impatiens and Coleus. You'll end up with a bunch of new plants!
Chris

o

I wouldn't pinch them back just yet, wait until you get them in the ground, then pinch away! Also, I have not had much luck pinching the New Guinea Impatiens, so you might want to refrain from using this methoc on them.
Your seedlings look terrific, before long, you can have hundreds of em. Be sure to check out my albums and see my beautiful impatiens that reseed in the crack between my cement (faux brick) patio and the real brick wall. I treausre this little surprise garden when it returns each year--even wiggle out many seedlings to plant elsehwere when they get too crowded. Ya gotta love these plants, I have some blooming now, we have had such a mild winter here, even had a blossom or two this winter.
Pauline

Here is a link that might be useful: All of my picture Albums,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here