Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mandyvilla

For Those of You That Start From Seed....

Mandyvilla
18 years ago

I will never, ever complain again about the price of a flat of impatiens! I started one flat, and I will be lucky to get 16 plants for my efforts. Each seedling has a pair of leaves and if you look real close with a magnifying glass, more are close to leafing out. I have been stuck at this stage of growth for the past 3 weeks. All my other starts from seed, including dichondra and diascia are ready to be put in their permanent location and are close to their first bloom. My hat is off to those that start impatiens from seed. Who knew? ~Suz

Comments (10)

• auntielaurie98031
    18 years ago

I started my impatiens from seed I think in Jan. or Feb. under lights in my house. They look better than the ones that I just saw at Fredmeyer. Not that there's were bad but I kinda smiled when I saw there's cuz mine were healthier looking. They have been in my unheated green house for the last month.But I had no problem with them.

• apermann
    18 years ago

I too started from seed in March and have buds forming on almost all of my plants. I had about 75% germination as well. I started indoors in front of my large north facing window and used full spectrum flourescent lights for a supplement. I just moved them out into my unheated greenhouse last week and plan on filling some more pots with them. Sorry you had such a hard time. I was just thinking that they were so easy to grow inside and didn't stretch as easily as some of the other annuals that I would continue to grow from seed. Maybe better luck next time but I wouldn't give up.

• ciaobella
    18 years ago

I started mine from seed in early March. They took forever to germinate and are still (mostly) puny. I have one or two out of a dozen or more that actually look good (nice bushy foliage). None is any where near blooming. Whatever the trick is, I didn't do it.

• dazed77
    18 years ago

Does anyone know the trick ?? ;-) I am also growing from seed. I have 3 sets by different methods. No germination so far from any of the 3. In case you want to know: the first batch sowed normally in miracle gro potting mix, almost on the surface. 2nd batch on a moistened kitchen napkin placed on a saucer covered with a plastic cover and placed in a sunny window. 3rd batch in those seed starter mini greenhouses (flats with drainage holes and a plastic cover) Place your bets y'all! Which will germinate (if ever) first??

• MrImpatiens
    18 years ago

Dazed77
    You live in a zone where you could just throw the seeds on the ground and they will germinate. Zone 11 is ideal they will act as perennials for you. But I do hear that Florida gets those hot humid summers that will kill them off but seeds come up in there place when it gets cooler.

• paulinep
    18 years ago

I have to laugh, Here are my seedlings (provided by nature each year with no effort from me), they seem to thrive in that tiny space between the concrete and the brick where all the debris and water goes. They get as large as any I have seen and they always make me smile when they start showing themselves. I even wiggle many out to thin them and plant those elsewhere in the garden. Free and easy, my happiest garden! (but let's not get started about the fit I pitched when my DH started to pressure wash the cracks last winter because there was all this dirt in them!)
    Pauline
    {{gwi:12170}}

• gardenlove
    18 years ago

Hello...My Impatien seeds germinated in something like 3-4 days using the baggie method hanging vertically on the side of my refrigerator. I started a different color in a Jiffy greenhouse(in peat wafers), and they took a much longer time to start coming out. Maybe it was just the difference in seeds, or perhaps the method, but I think they tend to germinate more quickly by an even and consistent radiant heat as provided by an electric appliance. My refrigerator is set into a wood cabinet which further retains any heat its surface radiates...but it also had some indirect light as its a bright kitchen...I am sure they may germinate more quickly in peat pot if they are placed on top of something that radiates some warmth(perhaps the top of the spa:)...Best wishes and take care!...GardenLove

• gardenfanatic2003
    18 years ago

apermann,

Where do you get your impatiens seed?

Deanna

• jane__ny
    18 years ago

I buy mine every year from Burpee and they are up in 3-5 days. I only grow 2 flats and when they start to form buds, I cut them back and root the cuttings and get another 3-4 flats. You shouldn't such problems. They are the easiest flowers from seed.
    Jane

• grumpygardenguy
    18 years ago

I have luck with balsams, they reseed themselves with those pop & fresh pods. When you consider how a plant that reseeds itself easily, you can follow it's example, just broadcast wherever you want them to be. No care or covering other then what happens normally where plants come back year after year from seed. If it's under a tree where leaves drop in winter and cover the area. (natural mulching) If you place seed where no leaves drop then place a layer of leaves there.

With seed i don't know anything about( trades), i just sprinkle peat over them, pat it down water and hope for the best. With most plants 1/8- 1/4 inch is normally what i remember reading on packages of seeds and maybe that should be followed, but i've had decent luck just sprinkling peat over any type seeds. I might have better luck if i ever followed directions when they are available, but who knows.
    Take for instance hibiscus, when i was collecting seeds many rolled into my porch flower box and i ended up with hibiscus seedlings in my flower box.