Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigred_gw

NG impatiens

bigred
19 years ago

I have several NG inpatiens "Painted Paradise". Some are in the shade of the eaves of my shop and some are sitting in the open w/ sun until about noon or 1 then shaded by the late afternoon sun by a big oak tree.All were potted up in the same week,back in late March. The ones under the eaves have grown a little while the ones in the open are quite a bit bigger w/ better color in the foligae. Just an observation.

PP

Comments (6)

• guanabanaboy
    19 years ago

I've heard that soil temperature is a major factor determining growth of NGIs. Within reason, warmer soil encourages growth. I would guess that the ones in the sun have warmer roots especially if they are in pots. As sort of an experiment, when repotting my latest puchase of impatiens to larger pots, I repotted several specifically in the black plastic pots used for nursery stock. I then set these out, like yours, to have morning sun until around noon. I wanted to see if the warm roots would yield good results. So far, so good. By the way, my Painted Paradise NGIs are in terra cotta - didn't read about the warm root advice until after I had already potted them up. I have them in the same spot to hopefully warm up the soil a bit. Chris

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    19 years ago

New Guineas do like warmer soil than other hybrid Impatiens, but the light level is crucial. They will not do so well in full shade, even bright or dappled shade where other Impatiens would be happy.

• MrImpatiens
    19 years ago

Painted Paradise series are wonderful they keep thier leaf color better than others. I still have my two from last year but they dont look real hot right now. I have a white with yellow and green leaves and the orange. I may have another that a friend gave me that appears to be magenta.

• bigred
    Original Author
    19 years ago

MrImp,
    I have pink,the scrawniest looking of all but blooming,red,wine and orange. The last three are the ones getting am sun but none of those are blooming....foliage is great w/ lots of color.

I bit the bullet,pinched back the yellow ones and struck the pinchings for more plants.My double"Tutu" inpatiens are blooming but still on the scrawny side,wiating for them to bush out. Have a new variety from Parks Seed,"Extreme Violet" that should open any day so I'll get to see just how "extreme" those are.

Peggy

• MrImpatiens
    19 years ago

What is nice about variegated NGs is you dont even have to worry about flowers just the leaves alone are wonderful. To bad the breeders think everyone wants soild green leaves. But I hear that variegated types are on the come back.

• donahee
    19 years ago

my ng have plenty of soul temp and my only quotion is what fert should i use?

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz