Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Not a Gardener Need Help

Posted by eileenlaunonen NY (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 20, 07 at 9:04

I do not Garden but feel compelled since I renovated my yard last summer maybe I will learn to love it hmmmm...At what point can I plant I live on South Shore of Long Island...Is it too early to start???? I had a professional do all the heavy planting last year Hydrenga Rose of sharon pear trees Lilacs etc...Ill do the bed planting this year! TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Not a Gardener Need Help

Hi Eileen
I'm familiar with you from the recipe and cooking forums. I think I sent you recipe for black beans once, LOL. Anyway back to gardening. Spring seems to have sprung here, but its still a little early to get things outside just yet. You might enjoy the winter sowing forums for next year, and the group there are very friendly. Are you looking to learn about vegetable gardens or just flower gardens? May 15th is usually a good safe bet for planting outside. Give me a hollar and I'll try to guide you.
Alberta
(I'm in Mastic)

o
RE: Not a Gardener Need Help

To plant tender flowers it's best to wait until at least a week past your frost date. I believe that's the 15th of April on Long Island.

o
I think I killed my double impatiens!:(

About two weeks ago, I purchased and planted six Fiesta lavender orchid double impatiens in two plastic rectangular containers. I purchased them from a reputable garden center. They were beautiful for the first week or so. Then, they began to wilt, and so I watered them. And watered them. And watered them. They seemed ok in the mornings, but when the temperature and humidity rose, they wilted. And, so, I kept on watering.

So, I think I overwatered them. And they look horrific! Poor babies! I am very, very sad.:( All of the blooms and most of the buds have fallen off, and the foilage is extremely wilted.

**They also are located on a rear apartment patio which doesn't receive sun until about 3pm in the afternoon. So, I suspect that that may have been a contributing factor.

As a novice container gardener and a very newbie double impatiens gardener: Will I be able to revive my impatiens?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here