Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gree_knees

specific epithet

gree_knees
15 years ago

Can someone tell me what type of impatiens I have? The tag reads "Fusion(trademark symbol) Glow Imp" It's more helmet shaped than flat, and is pale yellow with orangey throat markings. Burpee sold these a few years ago as Seashells. I'd love to know what the species is, Can anyone tell me?

Comments (7)

• tom8olvr
    15 years ago

I recall a recent thread about Fusion series/species, gree-knees. I recall being very impressed with the look of these lovelies. Where are you shopping because I recall you also picking up some Bonfire Begonias... I'm jealous!

Thread link attached.

Here is a link that might be useful: thread about Fusion

• gree_knees
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the link, Tom8,it didn't classify the species, just called it a hybrid.That's the most info I have so far. I buy from a local nursery and they do get cool plants in. I can count on him to have the newest plants I read about every year. I tried to overwinter this plant last year, but I brought it in with spider mites and it was defoliated in a short time. I wasn't able to root cuttings and it's the first imp that's ever been this difficult to propagate for me. Anita

• gree_knees
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I guess I'm saying it wrong, if it's a hybrid does anyone know the parent species. Anita

• tom8olvr
    15 years ago

Anita,
    Your saying it correctly - I just don't know... My experience with imps is fairly limited - but I know with tomatoes (something I'm only slightly more familiar with) many times the breeders don't want you to know the parents of specific hybrids... There's a whole thang going on with trying to dehybridize a tom called 'Sun Gold' which more than likely has more than 2 parents - to no avail... it's never quite as good (flavor wise) as the hybrid. Many folks would like to know the parents of Minnie's Big Zac (tom)too... But I digress... I'm sure someone else will be able to provide you with more info... Sorry, can't help! :)

I'm totally jealous of your nursery! I went to one of the more upscale nuseries (they have beautiful perennials - and a great variety) last week and they had NADA... I'm getting discouraged. I'm sure your cognizant of making sure you give them your business! :)

• gree_knees
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tom, Yes, I pay a lot for pots and deer repellant and that is where I buy the Ferti-lome products. It's worth it to have a better array of plants, plus the employees are wonderful. Anita

• MrImpatiens
    15 years ago

gree-knees

Fusion Glow is a hybrid of Impatiens walleriana and I. auricoma. It is easy for me to start by cuttings and the only way to do it as well as it is a sterile hybrid. They are not Seashells but they do have the same parents. Glow is by far the best of the bunch in my opinion.

• catfurballs_rogers_com
    15 years ago

I found these a few years ago, at a grocery store. I thought they were gorgeous, got some for mother's garden. We liked them so much, tried wintering them in the front sitting room with it's huge north window and they bloomed all winter long, though they got a wee bit leggy. I give everything coming inside a heavy hosing off, special attention to under leaves,nodes, etc., and then spray most with one of the newer horticultural oil sprays for green plants. Works very well to keep pests under control. One of those two original Fusions is now starting it's third year, in a big mixed planter tub, I think the peach coloured one, as the pink one died last summer, while we were away. Mom tried cuttings in water, her usual and often successful rooting method, but these rotted. I'd like to try again with sterilized media and hormone powder,since they are hard to find here. They were heavy bloomers, attracting many nice comments from visitors. Been very hard finding any of the Fusions locally [Toronto,Canada] though I did find Fusion Glow Imp at one place, but I like the darker, brighter colours best.

Sponsored