Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do impatiens really do well in shade?

Posted by debramd z8 CentralTexas (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 4, 04 at 12:11

I planted some impatiens about 2-3 weeks ago that I had sprouted by the winter sowing method. They are in shade because I had the impression that these flowers were suitable for a very shaded area that stumped me last year and stayed bare. The sprouts are quite healthy looking and about 2-3" tall, but seem to be growing very slowly. Do these flowers really work in deep shade?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do impatiens really do well in shade?

There is shade and then there is shade. The common hybrid Impatiens from Impatiens walleriana (the short pinkish or white ones) will flower well in 100% shade, but it should still be bright. In deep shade they will grow slowly and you'll get less flowers. I'm a bit further north than you but I find that the more sun they get the better the larger they grow and the better they flower. The only problem is that they need loads of water in the sun, so I put them where they only get morning sun and they do great with little help from me.

o

my son bought a house and is a newbie in the gardening category.
He has a lot of shade in the front of house due to a large oak tree.
He took a lot of bushes out & also his foundation needs plants,,, can you help?

o

In central texas I would give them a fair amount of shade, especially afternoon shade. However, impatiens still do better with a fair amount of bright light. If you are growing them in a very dark corner of the yard it can be a problem.

other issues affecting flowering in impatiens:
- lack of adequate fertilizer during intial seedling stages (impatiens need very little fertilizer, but still need to be fertilized as young seedlings)
- too much nitrogen and very little phosphorus/potassium
- plants recently pinched back (require 2-3 weeks to reflower)
- plants less than 8-10 weeks old
- plants grown in very damp/satuarated soil. Let them dry otu slightly between waterings (but not wilting) to promote flowering.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here