Return to the Impatiens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
balsam impatiens

Posted by tastefullyjulie zone 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 27, 06 at 18:12

I started some balsam impatiens from seed about 8 weeks ago. They are now about 5 in. tall and I have them in 3-1/2 inch pots. They were looking wonderful until last week when they started turning yellow. They are quite yellow now. They are not very wet. What else could it be and can they be saved? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: balsam impatiens

Hi Julie, I remember the same thing happening when I grew balsam impatiens from seed a few years ago. I don't think they like being inside too long. Once I started hardening them off outside, and planted them, they turned green again.

The leaves that are turning yellow will fall off, and you'll probably end up with a very long stem with leaves on top. You can plant them more deeply, right up to the first set of leaves, in case you didn't already know this.

o
RE: balsam impatiens

Hi Julie,
In my zone 9, I direct sow them. Here they are almost carefree with the exception of watering them often due to the heat. When I started growing them I put them in pots and agree that they didn't like it indoors. Mine all died. After that I began to sprinkle the seeds diectly in my shade bed and let them do what they do own thier own. Now I grow them every year. When they go to seed I just pop the seedheads into my flower beds and lightly cover them with soil. Before I know it I see them popping up freely on thier own again.
I love these and would eventually like to branch out into more colors.

Good Luck,
Kelly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Impatiens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here