Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rothwood

Camelia Flowered Balsam

rothwood
20 years ago

I picked up some of this seed from the garden center. I know this type of impatiens is more upright - any tips on requirements would be helpful.

Comments (7)

• MrImpatiens
    20 years ago

These sound like to old fashioned kind. Thomas Jefferson is said to have grown these in his garden. They can take a little more sun than the bedding types but not a whole lot more. Protect them from hot afternoon sun. They will also get taller around two feet but the biggest mine have grown is about one foot. In my garden they are now coming up kind of late in the season my other annual types are blooming now but they will catch up soon. Their latin name is Impatiens balsamina if you can find the single forms these are much more rare now than the doubles.

• trowelgal Zone 5A, SW Iowa
    19 years ago

Hi Rothwood,
    I winter sowed the double camelia balsam impatience this year. Bought them from Pinetree Seeds. They are beautiful, various colors and some 4' tall. I have questions about the seed pods. Do I need the pods to be dry to collect the seeds? Do the seeds come true to the plant? Any help will be appreciated.
    TrowelGal

• donna_loomis
    19 years ago

Don't wait for the pods to dry before collecting seed. Actually, they will explode long before they dry. The pods will start to yellow slightly before they pop. Gently squeeze the pods and if they are ready they will pop. Keep your fingers closed around the pod and let go of it over a bag or bowl, or your other hand. If the pod does not pop with gentle pressure, let go. It isn't ready. From my experience they do come true to seed. I've grown them for several years. Only planted them once, then each year I just move the volunteers to where I want them to be. Bought seeds this year for the blackberry trifle and peppermint stick, both speckled with white. I'm going to try them next spring.

• vmarcos68
    18 years ago

OK Im totally new to impatiens but have two camelia balsam seedlings about 3 inches tall each(with true leaves doing well). The germination seemed very strong and I put several in one hanging basket quite early, 2 survived.
    Also a half dead(got hot)fuschia in same basket.

Question is, are these impatiens worlds apart from new guinea types? I find the new guineas typically have dark foliage serrated leaves and lobed blooms.

Also will my impatiens ever grow enough to bloom at this rate?

If they start getting big how are they with transplanting?

• MrImpatiens
    18 years ago

Impatiens balsamina is said to be one of the easiest to start and grow from seed. They do trans plant well and will flower when very small. Mine are about 3 inches high and are flowering. They are native to Asia and India but that is as close as it gets. They will not cross with each other, to far apart in time.

• carrie630
    18 years ago

I grew these from seed in containers, planted them out early spring and they are just starting to bloom like crazy. They are completely full now (the picture is two weeks old). They are very easy to grow.
    {{gwi:218318}}

• grumpygardenguy
    18 years ago

Easy is an understatement, except for they have succulent type stalks/stems, so if they don't have enough water they will droop big time. They aren't drought tolerant at all, but are soil tolerant and will pop up in your lawn and anywhere else a seed might jump to. Bunches of them popping up around my free standing compost pile. They tend to get big, so plant them near the back of your garden or just have them in one spot so they don't cover up smaller plants. Pansies in front are great, behind them, not so great. they Will bloom at 2 inches in height, when they figure it's time to bloom they just do it no matter how tall the plant is 2 inches 4 ft, just doesn't mater.

They tend also to stunt their own growth if they have near neighbors. They seed so abundantly that you get seedlings on top of each other. so you can thin them out and have big bushy plants or keep them close together and have shorter, non bushy plants.

As for single double, i started out with 4 doubles now i have hundreds, mostly singles, a very few doubles. They stay true to color, but not single or double status. Not sure if a single could ever become a double, but doubles can surely become singles.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida